cruise missile cheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruise missile cheat

Anybody noticed this one? Once I figured out the "super-stack" trick (only a fighter can attack a stack with a bomber in it, AND the fighter will have to attack the strongest defender in the stack rather than the bomber), I started trying it with battleships so that enemy submarines and battleships couldn't get me. What happened? A cloud of enemy cruise missiles!!! Sometimes one in each of the eight adjacent squares!

Apparently the AI, as always, leaps on the opportunity to cruise-missile the battleship -- but they can't attack the bomber stack, and they don't go home, they just hang there right next to the ship. So on my turn, my ship or, better yet, a single fighter, can take them all out, one by one. What a great way to tease the AIs into wasting their production.

Ming, this should probably get added to the list of cheats.

I think that that AI cheat was already doccumented. People have seen fighters standing in mid air after the turn ends. It also goes along with the never sinking triremes. An AI trireme will never sink. But I do like how you suckered the AI into surrendering their cuises. Unfortunetely, they don't always have to build the missiles, they just cheat build them

------------------
    SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
    -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
    "It's just a flesh wound!"
    - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

Yeah, you can't make the AI waste production it doesn't make.
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

I like my way. I don't build battleships or carriers (after cruise missles are built by ai)- trust me you don't need them against the puny ai. And they never use them on any other naval vessel or unit. Usually my armour will pound them easily when they are taking all the ai's cities.
        [This message has been edited by Black Bart (edited July 26, 2000).]

Comment

I usually like building one battleship, then put it in a battle group of about 4 or 5 ageis cruisers. The AI will then waste most of its production firing cruise missiles at it every turn. It makes those land offensives sooooooooo much easier.

And you too can have your planes or missiles hang in the air safely after your turn. Make sure your unit has one more space left, and use the function key to end your turn. This will also keep ships from sinking. Now, most people (and so do I) consider this a massive cheat that shouldn't be used!
          [This message has been edited by Ming (edited July 26, 2000).]
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I was going to say Ming!! I'm sure you would never use such a cheat. Something I"d like to see revamped is the air unit rules in civ3. But that's another thread...

Comment

The only time I ever used it was when it was first discovered, and I wanted to see if it actually worked... (everybody in the game had to give it a try)

We may all argue whether incremental buying, using diplo's to move troops through ZOC's, preworking settlers, and other little things are cheats or not... But this one ranks right up their with creating non units and trading units back and forth in the same turn to create infinite movement... definite cheats!
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

but nothing beats MY cheat!!!!!
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

That's because your cheat actually IS a cheat
                  Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

In the "AI cheats" thread, a couple of people have commented that the AI can build unlimited numbers of cruise missiles, and that they have unlimited range. It reminded me of this thread. My experience when I use this cheat is that after a couple of turns, the AI cruise missiles begin to be few and far between; i.e., they seem to run out of backstock. Moreover, when my spies visit enemy cities, those cities often have 0, 1, or 2 missiles in them, suggesting that (1) they don't just create them instantaneously at the point when they want to use them, and (2) they don't have an infinite supply. My belief, therefore, is that they actually do build the missiles naturally, and have a large supply because their production costs are only 60%/80% of ours and because they haven't a brain in their head to direct production choices. Does anybody have actual evidence for free missile production?

Incidentally, SandMonkey, what I originally meant in the first post was that this seemed like a HUMAN cheat that Ming should add to THAT list.

Comment

The reason people assumed that the AI cheat built the units was because you would get slammed on the turn that you get the message saying "______ have discovered the secret of Rocketry" (or the equivelent). Since rush building a unit would give it to you the turn AFTER you discover something, the only logical explanation is that the AI cheat builds them on that turn, and lots of em.

Comment

the ai missles cruise or nuke, have unlimmited range and there for can strike your city from any region on the map and they will find the city without SDI but they will also waste countless missles on protected cities as well
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Using reduced cruise missle costs will prevent the AI from saving them and only firing them at big shield targets. They do build a truckload of them at normal cost, but not use them. I have yet to see convincing evidence from using the cheat menu to look at the AIs cities that they just create cm's out of thin air. Build orders can and will be changed in mid-turn though if they research the tech.
                          Be the bid!

Comment

If the army helmet fits, wear it.... (How can I put one of those little smiley faces here?)

Are you quite sure the AI will nuke a city that has an SDI actually within it? I'm pretty sure that with me, it has infallibly attacked the cities without SDI and ONLY those cities; the only time I've seen SDI protection is when the SDI itself is in a different nearby city.

Comment

duh - double post - sorry
                              [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited September 07, 2000).]
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                              X