Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Harry Potter played Civilization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Harry Potter played Civilization?

Suppose the characters from the Harry Potter novels played Civilization. How would they play? What would happen?

Hermione would be a tremendous micromanager.

Hagrid would modify all the special squares so they would be animals. The wilder the animal the better.

Draco Malfoy would change the special pattern so each of his cities had 21 specials.

The Great Library would never become obsolete because wizards would see no reason to discover electricity.

Some might think this is a joke topic. Well it's not!
    If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Harry himself would make lots of dumb mistakes throughout the game, but somehow pull through in the end.

The Weasley twins (Fred and George?) would build a ton of diplos and spend the whole game sabotaging, pillaging, and stealing techs.

Voldemort would know (and use) all the cheats.

Comment

I guess that I really need to read these global best sellers!!

------------------
      "And now for something completely different..."
      - John Cleese
      "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Crabbe and Goyle would cede all their cities to Draco if he asked.
        *grumbles about work*

Comment

OK, it's a nice thread, but for us IT people who spend our time reading manuals instead of interacting with society at large. What's a Harry Potter and why doesn't he get a shave if he is so hairy?

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Lord Voldemort, Doh, ****, Sorry... I mean, He Who Must Not Be Named would be a complete megalomaniac, sort of a Wizarding version of Good old Ghengis Khan, destroying anyone who got in his way!!!

He's just gotten himself a new body and is about to nuke Harry by the look of things, this the 4th book is geting exciting!!!!

Oh, and why is the US version of book 1, Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone called H P and the Sorcerers Stone? any ideas????
            "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
            ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

Help, Ken - they've got us outnumbered and surrounded - I can't find Harry Potter in any of my manuals either...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Scouse, Just you wait until the Dementors turn up, then you'll be scared... OOOooooOOOooooo (Scary ghost-like noise!!)

[This message has been edited by Oldman (edited August 21, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Oldman on 08-21-2000 04:38 AM
                  Lord Voldemort, Doh, ****, Sorry... I mean, He Who Must Not Be Named would be a complete megalomaniac, sort of a Wizarding version of Good old Ghengis Khan, destroying anyone who got in his way!!!

So you're saying the fellow who couldn't kill the infant Harry might try and take advantage of every bug he could find in the code?

quote:

Oh, and why is the US version of book 1, Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone called H P and the Sorcerers Stone? any ideas????

My guess is that philosophy doesn't in any way indicate something magical over here. And with the idea of magic being so captivating for kids, it was probably a good marketing move.

------------------
                  April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
                  Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Obviously Harry Potter is just way over your head isn't SCG, i don't blame you!!! I mean i know how hard it is you old folks to grasp simple plots sometimes, i mean god knows, the crap some of you watch on tv...

...you might want to try graduating down to lord of the rings, then the hobbit, then possible a fighting fantasy book by steve jackson, then maybe you'll be able to figure out why You Know Who, couldn't kill harry!!!!

... Marketing move indeed?!?!?!!?

Comment

kcbob - think "The Hobbit", rather than LOTR. They are entertaining books, with engaging characters, but not great books (IMHO, of course).

Comment

DaveV, that's what I was thinking. Also, maybe along the lines of "Chronicles of Narnia" but with less theology.

------------------
                        Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                        Frodo lives!

Comment

I have read them, and they are entertaining allegories and a very quick read. The fourth one is not particularly well written so don't expect very much. If you buy them, get paperbacks, and please buy them from a local independant bookseller.

I would rank them around the same reading level as CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, or Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy. 10-12 years old; but enjoyable at any age.

Thanks for all the brit slang I have picked up on this sight, (and watching the English Premier League.) It made some of the character descriptions sound right spot-on.
                          Be the bid!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Oldman on 08-21-2000 04:38 AM

The actual reason is that they made the philosopher's stone to look like an adult book. They didn't want adults to be embarassed by reading a kids book on a train or that sort of thing. Rather dumb, if you ask me.

Comment

Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy was probably better then Harry Potter. I've read both, but soon you'll figure you that Harry Potter books use the same repetative pattern book after book.

There was one thing I didn't get in the Earthsea Trilogy. When did Sparrowhawk navigate the Dragon's Run?

I think this is getting a little off topic though.
                              *grumbles about work*

Comment

Working...
                              X