OCC Fortnight #7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC Fortnight #7

Shouldn't it be about time for another OCC game? I'd volunteer to do one except I have MPG...
    AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

I have a scenario I'd be happy to donate - it might not be winnable as OCC, though. You start on the north pole, with all the AIs to the south, well out of trireme range. Handicaps are:

1) Fewer city squares than usual, because you're on the edge of the map. Three of the squares you can use are worthless glacier; the rest are ocean. Only three specials (two whales and one oil).

2) No early AI contact; no trading. You might have to build the Lighthouse or Marco Polo.

3) The AIs all start with four NONE settlers, to give them a head start.

I set this up to force myself to play a perfectionist game. I gave up at AD 1500 or so after getting completely bored with shipping caravans between my (12) cities.

Comment

I kind of have one that might work. I have to admit though that I haven't played OCC much at all so I don't know how well this one would turn out. Anyone willing to test it and give me some feedback? It was done in MPG version...not sure if that makes a difference.
      Walk softly and carry a big stick...or better yet, a remote controlled nuclear device.

Comment

Well Dave that sure sounds tough for OCC.

Why don't we let Paul try it and see how he does?
        AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Thanks Talon, but I believe that although you can play a 2.42 game in MPG the converse is untrue and several of the OCCers seem to only have 2.42 ...

DaveV - I'll try anything once - I have oodles of experience at getting creamed by this game so bring on your arctic start and lets all make fools of ouselves ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

p.s. Hey DaveV - what you doin' here?
            Don't tell me we are going to convert you into trying a game of OCC!
            It would be good to see you - do please join in!

Comment

Excuse my humble interference, but what is OCC?

I have played Civ2 for longer than I care to count, but I have no idea what OCC is... sad, isn't it?

------------------
              Greetings,
              Earthling7
              To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

OCC = One City Challenge.

Anyway, a polar start does sound like a nice challenge. I don't expect 18th century AC landings on this one.

Please mail it to the address in my profile.

Comment

Hi Earthling,

Paul is being modest, he's probably the greatest exponent of OCC that we have here at Apolyton. If you would like to get a feel for this variation read Paul's indispensible manual at http://home.planet.nl/~belt0018/occ.htm and try one of the comparison games - they give you a good starting position. Once you are hooked - it is VERY addictive - come join us here - you will be most welcome

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                  [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited April 19, 2000).]

Comment

Sheesh! I'll go along with the latter C

I'll try this in solidarity first and let you know

------------------
                    Greetings,
                    Earthling7
                    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Do you guys mind if join in? I left a message on one of the other boards, luckily scouse gits pointed me over here - Cheers!!!

How does the whole setup work? do you guys have a map ready yet? I'll read up on the rules after work today!
                      "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
                      ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

Everyone is welcome to join in on the fun . When the game is ready, Paul will post a message with a link for downloading.

Check out Paul's strategy guide before/while/after you play. The link was provided by SG1 a couple of posts ago.

Comment

Cheers Tom, I've just printed out the strategy guide so i'll read it tonight!!! It looks pretty straight forward?!?!

So how do you guys do against the computer normally? - sorry you'll all have gone through this before i know!! but i'm just doing the getting to know you ****
                          "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
                          ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

Hi Oldman. I think you'll like OCC. I was getting bored with Civ until I discovered it, now I'm enjoying the game again. If you want to see how people did in the OCC#6 you can look at the thread or look at Paul's table for a condensed version. Usually the MPG guys don't do as well as the 2.42 guys since the AI doesn't cough up cash or techs as readily in MPG...

Comment

http://members.home.nl/paulvdb/Polar.zip

Play as the Chinese. There are no huts.
                              [This message has been edited by Paul (edited May 06, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X