does anyone know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know

Does anyone know if all the science beakers accumulated are lost when you build Darwins Voyage, or are they carried over? Does it make sense to hold off on building Darwins voyage until after you have just gained a new tech?
    "Nine out of ten voices in my head CAN'T be wrong, can they?"

Yes, all research bulbs are lost when Darwin's built.

Comment

the beakers are not carried over - of course Darwin's free techs come before you calculate your beakers, so I tend to set science to the complete max (100% science if possible, all einstiens) to try and compensate for the # of beakers for a tech going up (in nearly all cases) after each advance. I can always lower it next turn to even it out again, once i know how many beakers it actually will take.

edit: added the word not ( ) and elaborated or reason for maxing science that turn.
      ------------------
      April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*

[This message has been edited by SCG (edited August 27, 2000).]
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Xin Yu & SCG : Thanks!

SCG Why would you set science to max on the turn you build the Darwins Voyage? Arent you going to get the tech for free, for no beakers?

Why wouldnt you set science as low as possible for that turn?

Did I misread your post?
        "Nine out of ten voices in my head CAN'T be wrong, can they?"

Comment

You get two free advances for Darwin's, the one you are currently researching and one more. Therefore, if you're just a few beakers away from discovering the next one on your own, delay Darwin's and you'll be better off.

------------------
          Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
          Frodo lives!

Comment

SCG, you should do just the opposite: set science at zero. Make sure that DV is completed the turn after a new discovery (in your oldest city, if you have more than one), and with science on 0% no beakers will be lost because none are there.

The money you get from the extra taxes may about compensate for the cost of building the wonder, so you will net some 1½ techs. It is also a good time to start a We Love era.

- Rib -

------------------
            If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
            A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
            Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

To use OCC as an example, I currently try and build darwin's the round after I discover a tech. In other words, I start with 0 beakers accumulated. Darwin will give 2 free techs and leave you with 0 accumulated beakers. Then, beakers for that round are counted. Since you don't know how many beakers it will take for the next advance, I like to overcompensate that round by setting it to max, and I don't lose a round of science. A lot of times when I am building darwin's, I am either right on the edge of getting 2 techs per round, or maybe right on the edge of 1 tech per round. If I keep the science maxed, I will be able to keep the advance rate up without losing an extra round.

To use an example, say I can bring in 1200 beakers and need 2250 beakers for an advance before Darwin's Voyage is built. After darwins it might jump up to 2380. If I have science maxed, and brought in 1200 beakers the round darwin's was built, I will be able to get another advance the following round, since I will have 1200 beakers accumulated (0 after darwin's, + 1200 for that round). If, however, I had lowered or turned off science that round, I may have wasted a round of science unnecessarily.

If it instead jumps to 2530 per advance, I have lost nothing, and only need to make sure I bring in a little less than 700 for each of the next 2 rounds, or perhaps i can deliver a cheap caravan/freight and still get the next advance the following round
              Insert witty phrase here

Comment

I always asked the same question to myself - now I know the answer! thank you, Xin and all here

Comment

Working...
                X