• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple smart/lucky move from the AI:
    use the bomber/land unit trick, it's a pain in the ass to destroy the stack
    force you to a cease fire, but is usually sneak attacking 1-2 turns later
    build city walls in almost every city

Comment

I have often been pleased to see the AI build ships in single square lakes.

However, the AI once built a caravel in just such a lake to avoid my ZOCs of fortified units and attack my city on the other side of the lake.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sieve Too on 08-22-2000 09:42 AM
        AI Caravans have infinite patience, always seeking out your city that is furtherest from their territory, yielding the maximum bonus.

except that I can't remember the last time an AI caravan actually delivered a good in demand after that long trek.

The most annoying thing (not ready to call it smart )i've seen the AI do is buid a city that overlaps a heavily defended location of mine and immediately insist I remove my troops from their city. I've taken to putting several caravans/freights in my fortresses just for that occasion.

------------------
        April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

So, anyone been the subject of a brilliantly executed AI strategy?

Do event-generated units count?

------------------
          St. Leo
          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Attacking my city with a fighter first, then following with two bombers after. The fighter used up my fighter scamble, sacrificing itself, so that each bomber could destroy an infantry unit.

Just played against the Romans who repeatedly made and broke peace treaties, accepted tribute and promptly re-attacked, etc.
            Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Don't know whether to call it smart, or just downright cunning..........

The AI landing a unit on your continent, near a city, in order to talk to you. Then, after signing a treaty and promising to withdraw, it 'forgets' to re-embark its unit, which promptly goes 'walkabout'.

If the unit is a settler, it can be lethal to let it get away with this.

Comment

Man, I hate that! Just when I think I'm going to have a war free game, the AI comes in and builds on my modest sized island. No war? No way!

------------------
                Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
                "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

the smartest thing I've ever seen by the AI was nuking one of my cities and then putting a Paratrooper in it!! they've done it one time, I was playing on Chieftain... since then I've never seen that again, not even in Deity

Comment

Andz83, I've been nuked followed by a paratrooper at the Deity level. In the game I am currently playing the Rusians and I traded Moscow back and forth a couple of times. Now the Russians are no more.
                    If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

Another thing came to mind. AI units will often be located 8 squares from a city of the human player. If the human player destroys the unit with a stealth fighter it can't get back.
                      If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

Two of the smartest things the AI ever did to me was:

First I was building a space ship but I was going for the complete one and his was part built, I launched mine and the same turn he launched his, what I did not know at the time was that he only had one set of life pods and all engines and fuel so he got there ahead of me, a few times now when in a space race they would wait till I launch mine and then lauch also they always build it for speed. P.S why does he sometimes have more engine than fuel?? :-)

Second when I have a bottle neck it would send cavavans into amy teritory and pillage, and I had to attack him, upsetting my other nieghbours.

------------------
                        I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
                        I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

jpk - I too had found that and just assumed it was happenstance - I have however come up with a counter-measure - on the turn the SF is dispatched to do his evil deed two engineers are sent out to rush build an advance airbase to rescue the returning fighter...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                          X