My first OCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first OCC

After reading about this on here, I thought I'd give it a go.
    Using some of the techniques I'd read about, I thought I was doing quite well - 550 beakers at one point, with about 50 shields.
    Just as I was about to start building my spaceship, the Carthaginians declared war on me, so I decided to imporve my defence first. Ah ha, I remembered, only fighters can attack bombers (and therefore a stack with a bomber in it), so if I put a bomber or two in the city, it should be OK.
    Next turn after one was built, an armour unit rolls up and takes out my ground unit defence!
    Was I being naive in thinking the fighter/bomber stack thing would work in a city too, or should it have worked?

Tiz

Bombers land in cities.Same with airbases.

Put a ground unit somewhere.Flight a bomber over top and hit space bar.You rotate 2 back and forth.

I did the same thing with airbases once upon a time
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Hard luck Tizzy - we all make blunders of one sort or another (see my demise in fortnight#15). OCC is terribly addictive - I am certain you will soon be back giving those Carts a licking (my personal solution is to play as a Cart - they never attack me then!!)
      Have you read the Paulicy it spells out all the key steps for successful OCCing?
      Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tizzy on 08-23-2000 04:14 AM
        Was I being naive in thinking the fighter/bomber stack thing would work in a city too, or should it have worked?

Tiz

I wouldn't say you were being naive. Call it more a case of being inexperienced. The stack thing does not work in cities. As Smash said, the bomber is on the ground in a city and, therefore, subject to attack by the armor unit. Kind of like catching a ship in port.

Cursed Carthaginians!

------------------
        Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
        Frodo lives!

Comment

Getting better now - when the other Civ's started getting nasty, I concentrated more on defense for a few turns, and stopped them getting anywhere near my city. Built a 15-3-3-1-1-1 ship, which would have landed in 1991, if the Russians hadn't got there 5 years earlier! Not building Shakespere's theatre quickly enough held me up, as I had a couple of turns of civil disorder to deal with.
          Still quite pleased with my progress - had over 700 beakers at one point, and 65 shields when I got to building my ship.
          I think I'm starting to get the hang of this now! Maybe next time!

Tiz

Comment

What kind of site are you building on Tiz? You should be aiming at a capacity for 32 raw shields - that is before factory, power plant and man plant - that will give you 80 shields for eficient SS construction. Similarly your beaker production seems a tad low - have you turned all your forests to plains, rivers to forests etc??
            Keep up the good work you are certainly getting there

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I didn't get rivers on that site - I went for the 4 specials (whale, silk, fish, and I can't remember the 4th).
              I was looking for a good one with rivers too, but had wandered around for a bit before finding that one, and decided just to go for it.
              I didn't actually transform my forests this time, as I decided I needed the production more. If I find a good site with rivers next time, I'll probably do more transforming.

Tiz

Comment

good job! - any game you learn something about what you are doing is a successful attempt

In reguards to 80 production, if you are not getting any rivers and are falling short of 80 production, i find it useful if i have the time to change forests to plains and then some of my grasslands to hills. Net trade is unaffected, but you gain raw 1-2 shields in the exchange. Also, if you are supporting any units, you really need 33 or more raw shields (before any factories etc, not including offshore platforms), since 33 will get you 82 shields.

I personally try and have my settler clear as many forests early for growth, and then while the settler is farmlanding, let the engineers create hills for mining late. If pressed for time, I'll build/aquire anywhere between 1-3 extra engineers to speed the process - the supported ones can always be disbanded to help SS production once their teraforming is mostly complete. One neat little trick i use is to start 2 engineers teraforming a grassland and then a settler mining right after. The engineers will finish before its made a forest, and then the settler will finish off the mines instead of the forest

------------------
                April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
                Insert witty phrase here

Comment

** fyi - the bomber over land unit also does not work on an airfield, which you probably guessed after it didn't work in the city...
                  Be the bid!

Comment

Working...
                  X