Bribing a city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bribing a city

There are so many threads here that I can't find all the answers so here's a question. Why is it that when I attempt to bribe an AI city and I am just short of cash, I can go around from another angle and the cost is less to convert the city to my side? Are there other tricks to bribing cities or armies?

See http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~winkler/civ2.html

Comment

How do you mean "go around from another angle"? Geographically? That shouldn't affect the cost of the city. If an AI city goes into revolt, it will only cost 50% of what it would cost when it's not in revolt. Apart from that ...

------------------
      finbar
      Mono Rules!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

finbar -

Attempting to bribe a city from different squares will have an effect on the cost. Try it some time. I think it has to do with the distance that changes from the AI civ's capitol.
        [This message has been edited by SandMonkey (edited August 20, 2000).]

Comment

tonic's link spells it out, and you are right it has been posted in a couple of threads here in the past, but I don't have any idea which one either!

The bribe cost is affected by the distance from your dip or spy to the enemy capital, which will be different depending on which direction you are approaching from. Try it out in cheat mode, it can be a pretty big difference.
          Be the bid!

Comment

Yes, trying to bribe cities from different directions can cost more or less. I read this in a FAQ but can't remember who wrote it. Also, when attacking cities attacking from different directions can increase your success. Don't ask me why though. Maybe you should check out the Cheat Thread, don't know which forum in it is in though.

------------------
            Kitana
            Shogun of the Japanese
            Kitana
            Shogun of the Japanese

Comment

IIRC, the direction opposite to that nation's capital will have a lower bribing cost. Need to try this out someday.
              *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SandMonkey on 08-20-2000 09:13 AM
                finbar -

Attempting to bribe a city from different squares will have an effect on the cost. Try it some time. I think it has to do with the distance that changes from the AI civ's capitol.

Gee. I knew the distance from the capital affected the price, but I didn't realise a couple of squares made that much difference.

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Finbar,

For a large fundy city I've had it make 1000 or more gold difference in the price. Not that it helped all that much since I still didn't have enough gold.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X