Planning Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning Ahead

How much do you think and plan ahead in a Civ2 game? Lately I've been playing Civ2 more or less automatically which is probably not a very good idea, and I'm wondering if this is normal.

Dr.Oogkloot

When I play against the ai I plan to the end.That means my first decision is conquer or AC?

For conquer I want War Academy and SoL.Probably Leo's also.Then horses>knights/crusaders/dragoons/cavalry.Thats for a large map.Small map I want War Academy and thats it.

For AC I want science wonders and happy wonders.1-12 perfectionist cities.Trade routes."we love days".More trade.Stay away from major wars and launch.

[This message has been edited by Smash (edited October 21, 2000).]
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

When I'm trying out something different, I probably have a tendancy to kind of put it on automatic, just to see how things function with a different set of factors. At least that's my explanation for why I skipped Astronomy (Cope's), University, and Theory of Gravity (Ike's) in my first couple OCC game At least I still managed 20th century landings Its probably why I lost my first couple small map games as well after ruling large maps on most of my Civ life...
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Against the AI, most of us have pretty standard game plans that are easy to follow because of the dependability of the AI to be stupid in the long run. A few times I might be surprised by what they do, but normally, you pick your goals and go for them because you know exactly what the AI will do.

In MP, you might have some long term goals, but I mostly look at short term goals, because the game changes so quickly. Humans will have similar goals to yours, and are far more effective at executing them. Very seldom will an AI beat you to an important wonder... where as in MP, it can be a matter of a single turn... and your game plan will have to change. You must be far more flexible in MP than against the AI
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm reminded of the quote from the noted chess master Alekhine... or was it Capablanca?... maybe Nimzovitch... anyway, the quote when asked how far ahead he thought in a chess game... "Just one move... but it's always the best move!"

All seriousness aside, if you're in a battle with your opponent, I would suggest reading the article "War". Very enlightening. You can find it if you surf long enough searching on Civilization. Or perhaps someone here can provide a link.
          Frodo lives!

Comment

Playing OCC has taught me that you really need to look ahead all the time which makes heavy demands on micromanaging. Even with one city this is intensive. We all go by Paul's established strategy now and to follow that you need to optimise when to

1. start and stop WLTxD

2. make exchanges of techs with the AI civs so that you get the tech only at the appropriate moment of your tech path

3. stop growing your city at maximum size so that when you change from growth and science to production for the SS-parts the severe reduction in food supply will not result in the loss of your Engineers

4. start terraforming your grasslands to forests to get the 80+ shileds so that you do not lose precious food and beakers by doing it too early or penalise yourself with less than 80 shields when you start building your first Structural, by doing it too late.

5. decide whether to establish a trade route with a commodity caravan/freight or keep it for Wonder building in relation to where you are in the game, where the AI civs are and the supply and demand situation

6. fine-tune the TLS ratio and the Einsteins and Accountants in the city screen to obtain the best balance between gold and science for a particular beakers per turn rate.

These are just the major ones that come to mind!

Comment

I no longer plan ahead. It takes too much time. Nowadays I am playing specialty games.

ie.

1.See how many cities I can squash together in my peaceful-enemy's territory, then annihilate him
              2.See how large my cities will grow with 1 space between them on a plains world with farmland/railroad
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
              X