No announcement yet.

First Twenty Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are free starting techs counted towards the magic 20 number? I would imagine not.

Comment

Sten Sture:

Thank you for your bee-line to Democracy list. While prerequisite advances occur at higher levels on my list, I did not write my list with the idea that that was the order in which they should be chosen. Wasn't that organized. Your comments about the importance of map making for trade should not be discounted by any player who values trade.
      If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

A piece of advice:
        When in doubt on what tech to research next, pick one that lets you build a wonder.

Comment

Sten Sture - But wouldn't the techs you have to give the AI be the efficient ones for getting to Monarchy? Perhaps you have gotten past that and are giving them the more advanced ones to load them down, though. It's an interesting idea...

------------------
          Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance...
          Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Starting techs are not included - they are totally free.

Techs from huts, other civs, Philo and Darwin are included in your totals. Hence the importance of starting techs and getting Monarchy before you load up on huts.

BTW - you can't edit in totally free starting techs to a scenario.

(a rather devilish tactic against the AI is to give them techs before they get Monarchy - you can end up keeping them in Despo almost indefinately; it is rather difficult to get 800 beakers in Despo)
            Be the bid!

Comment

My first 20 techs are for the most part the same. Although certain situations require me to get map making sooner, also I will usually research pottery asap if I have a good production city for hanging gardens, if you can get this it is worth the time! Trade... its one of my early goals, but if there are no good trade partners I may 'avoid' it for a while. Sometimes republic is necessary other times not so. Astronomy and Mathematics can be put off and traded for wheel/construction, if situation makes it necessary. But otherwise its good.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 08-04-2000 05:51 PM
                Sten Sture - But wouldn't the techs you have to give the AI be the efficient ones for getting to Monarchy? Perhaps you have gotten past that and are giving them the more advanced ones to load them down, though.

It's both a case of loading them down with advanced techs and the fact that they also may be having extant techs that lead elsewhere in the techtree eg Horseback Riding, Pottery and Warrior Code, the ones to avoid when trying to get to Monarchy ASAP. It's of course the basic tactic in OCC to refuse exchanges involving these last-named techs and just offer your advanced tech as gifts instead.

Comment

oops wrong thread

[This message has been edited by Smash (edited August 07, 2000).]
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
                  X