PC riot factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC riot factor?

Could you look in your rules.txt and tell me what the riot factor is?
    Mine is set to 14.Is that right?
    Last night I had 5 cities close together when I saw my 1st first red citizen in Monarchy.Something didn't seem right.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

My rulese.txt also has riot factor 14.

Comment

hmmm. thats odd.I wonder if there are other facyors involved.Thnx
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

What were the population levels, and at what difficulty were you playing?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Well.I only had 5 cities down so pop level was low.Deity.

Comment

Smash - very strange. Did you have any roads/rivers connecting cities? Which city had the red citizen?

Comment

Let's see if this makes sense

Deity - 4
              Emperor - 6
              King - 8
              Prince - 10
              Warlord - 12
              Cheiftain - 14

So my educated guess is that 14 is the number of cities you can have in Cheiftain before you start getting unhappy citizens (ie a riot).

I remember switching the riot factor to 255 a while back and had an easy time at ICS. No extra unhappies no matter how many cities I built.

The government type also contributes to how many cities you can have before riots.
              [This message has been edited by Tom DeMille (edited July 11, 2000).]

Comment

Tom - it's a bit more complicated than that. I'll take the liberty of pasting in a table from another thread:

quote:

Here's an attempt at a table:
                _____________Deity___Emperor___King____Prince____W arlord____Chieftan
                Despotism/_____4________6_______8_______10________12_______1 4
                Anarchy
                Monarchy______6________9_______12______15________1 8_______21
                Republic_______8________12______16______20________ 24_______28
                Democracy_____10_______15______20______25________3 0_______35
                Communism/____255______255_____255_____255_______255______25 5
                Fundamentalism

Each time you exceed a multiple of the magic number, your happiness calculation goes up one difficulty level in some cities. For Deity+1, the first citizen is unhappy; for Deity+2, you will have a very unhappy citizen.

These numbers are for a small map; I think there may be a bonus for larger maps.

Comment

OK, so Smash's point is that he should have been able to build 7 cities before getting that first unhappy, not 5.

Comment

Cities were on a pretty nice river system.No roads yet.

First extra redhead appeared in city #5.Size 1 unhappy.I should have been good for at least 2 more cities.Cities were fairly close together,very low corruption at that point.

I don't beleive in that number system.My first extra redhat would appear consistantly then and that is not what happens to me.On small maps it varies for me from 5(apparently) to 8 or so.

In case there is any doubt Monarchy was established.I had been "holding" at 4 until despo was history.
                    [This message has been edited by Smash (edited July 11, 2000).]

Comment

Smash - my experience definitely bears out the numbers in the Deity column. I've never seen a first unhappy before my 5th city in despotism or 7th in monarchy. Sometimes I've been able to squeeze in an extra city, but the riot factor has never kicked in early. Just another one of those puzzling phenomena...

Comment

While in general, that table is a good guide, I have also experienced variations which I notice were due to overall population growth. Where due to pop growth in one city in a turn, another city previously ok (and did not grow) was now a problem. (when no new cities were added that turn)

There was another thread around here that went into more detail, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now.

RAH
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Interesting. Smash, what size were your cities? I have probably never had a city bigger than size 2 at this stage of the game, so maybe that is the difference.

Comment

I think that's right. There seems to be some sort of individual city size (or general population number) factored into the equation. I've been within the "magic number" of cities and had previously content citizens suddenly become unhappy for no apparent reason. Well, other than growth within other cities, none of which, in itself, should cause unhappiness. And no amount of martial law solves the unhappiness.

------------------
                            finbar
                            Mono Rules!
                            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Don't forget there is also a distance from the capital factor. I think the thread that Rah mentioned is the one where we were discussing the problems involved in getting an advanced tribe in the wrong location at the wrong time. Several of us, myself included, had gotten cities from huts that caused a stable civ to go into mass riots without having the hut city also riot. Most often this had happened if for example: you had 15 well spaced cities total before poping the hut. With some of the cities in the stable civ 80 -> 100 tiles from your capital and on more than one land mass or several islands. Lets say that for whatever reason your unpoped hut was only 20 tiles from the capital and on the same land mass. After poping you most likely got a population 4 city, or possibly only size 3, which would be close enough not to riot, but would cause 3 or 4 cities on the fringes of your empire to riot or just fall out of WLxD status, which can actully end up being worse.

The numbers above are just examples and not actual measures. In that particular discussion none of us were using exact figures and meaurements we were just comparing situations that we had experienced.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X