Trade route bonus for Super Highways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade route bonus for Super Highways?

In some long ago thread I read that one gets a bigger bonus for a trade route between cities if both have a super highway, in addition to what one gets because of the extra trade from land squares. I no longer believe this. It seems that one gets no additional bonus. At least it seems to make no difference whether or not the sending city has a super highway. In both attempts the sending city had all workers in the sea, getting 3 trade per turn anyway, so the superhighway didn't increase the trade from worked squares in this case, which seems to be the only way a super highway can affect a trade bonus. The super highway does seem to increase the turn by turn trade route income of any city that has one. Just not the bonus, except for by increasing the trade from land squares.Trade from worked squares is the only trade that goes into bonus calculation. Income from established trade routes does not.
    The camel is not a part of civ.
    THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
    SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Try it with a city that works every square available.There will be a difference.

Its kinda like a road not increasing trade on its own.It must be worked.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Yes it will increase the bonus by increasing trade from land squares, but that's it. There is no additional bonus beyond that. An important point if you are racing for AC and trying to decide whether or not to rushbuild a superhighway to increase a trade bonus.
      The camel is not a part of civ.
      THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
      SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

I agree with Smash, in my last game i had an ssc that filled every square and had about 72 trade (is this good or bad??), then i built the superhighways and my trade shot up to 87!! I was also suprised to see my trade routs go up from 4,3,3 tade to around 8,10,8!!

Hey, from you "pros", is a science of around 500 good for a ssc???
        SABRECAT

--The man who dies with the most toys is still nonetheless... dead.

Comment

I'm not a pro, but 500 beakers is a little, eh, "modest".

For the late game, that is!

Carolus

Comment

BTW, 87 science beakers after building Superhighways is not too good.

What did you have in the city (which wonders, improvements etc)?

Carolus

[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited July 05, 2000).]

Comment

that was probably 87 trade arrows.
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

You've got it all, Sabrecat, but the trade arrows are very unimpressive . What kind of specials do you get ? Probably you have too many trees in the city area. They should be all chopped down. All squares should be turned into farmed grassland and the extra food can be used to feed a garrison of Einstein. Don't worry about shields. SSC is not supposed to be doing the dirty manual production work .
                BTW, isn't there a limit to the number of scientists a city can have ? I cannot turn the entertainers into scientists after a certain city size limit, around 36 or so.
                And if I count correctly, the scientist limit is 16.
                Some of my best SSC happen to be in river areas with no specials in sight . The extra food and extra arrow per river square seem to counter the lack of a whale or two after superhighway.

Comment

Let's see... I had ike's, cope's, the gardens, SETI (by then), Colossus for wonders. I had every trade and science one, and an airport, and most of the porduction ones. I only had a 2 special city for my ssc too (i was playing on a huge map).
                  SABRECAT

Comment

Carolus

Comment

Well, AFTER i beat the game it shot up to in the 100's for some reason. i had a wheat that should have been silk, i had two hills, (which i used the airbase trick hehe). and i think i had either a whale or a fish. It MIGHT have had 2 or 3 trees, but that's highly unlikely, i hate tress (mwahaha).

Well Carolus, i DO think i was making 87 beakers, when i was a fundy with a science of 0% . I could have grown it some more, but i didn't realize about the food caravans. My new one is at about 0 ad, with a pop of around 19, and 80 trade arrows.

I got a question, in that city, i built a bank, but i saw no increase in trade arrows (on the bar), what's up with that??

------------------
                      SABRECAT

SABRECAT

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sabrecat on 07-06-2000 10:36 AM
                        I got a question, in that city, i built a bank, but i saw no increase in trade arrows (on the bar), what's up with that??

building a bank will increase the amount of gold produced and increase the number of luxuries produced, based on the existing # of trade arrows. it does nothing for increasing the # of arrows. Of course if you enter WLTxD with the bank, then the # of arrows may well increase depending on the government you are in at the time.
                        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Well then, i think the civipedia is wrong, i remember it saying it gives a 50% bonus to TRADE, maybe i'm wrong (but that's a bummer )
                          SABRECAT

Comment

I have experienced super highways doubling the benefit from trade routes, going from around 12 to 22-24 each. But now we're talking about a ssc with 170 arrows and 1744 beakers..., deity level, of course.
                            Rebel

Comment

Working...
                            X