Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With what unit do you like to explore, initially?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East St Trader and War4ever:

I've never seen the phenomenon that you mention about multiple consecutive advanced tribes. I've recently moved to Emperor after a while playing at King. I get an advanced tribe in maybe a quarter of my games. Once I got two in the same game, not consecutive though. Other than that I've only gotten one per game.

I wonder why the difference?

Comment

Fbitt:

If you're playing modified ICS, why do you hate advanced tribes? Why not just start another group of cities? Or is it the defensibility that concerns you?

Comment

Campo:
        As I've usually already uncovered the map, I have my next group of cities planned out -- to take what I hope is maximum advantage of terrain, defensive positions, etc. Invariably, the advanced tribes are in the wrong spot and screw my plan up. Anal perhaps?
        (If the tribe is on an island though I'll keep it ...)
        This is SP on Emperor level (i've not tried diety yet); in MP (which I've never played), I'd prolly be overjoyed to get a free city.

Oh, i get adv tribes *a lot* on Emperor, as many as 3x in a row . . .

Comment

Yeah, i hate it when they are right in your way and one or two squares away from being a good 4-special city. But hey, it's about 200 gold in thecoffers, so go bribe and enemy unit/city

------------------
          SABRECAT

--The man who dies with the most toys is still nonetheless... dead.
          SABRECAT

--The man who dies with the most toys is still nonetheless... dead.

Comment

For initial unit, of course I use the warrior.

Later when I get the chance I'll use chariots and/or horsemen to explore on their own, as well as the occasional "goody hut" archer/longbowman.

Once I have dips, ships, and explorers I use the following 2 patterns:

Explorer/ ship combo: Explorer jumps off ship to nab on-shore "goody huts". If barbs pop out I jump back on board. Otherwise continue searching land mass, trying to stay near ship.

Explorer/diplomat combo: Diplomat & explorer occupies square next to hut. The following turn the explorer jump on hut. If barbs (1 move) the explorer & dip beat feet outta there. The dip may bribe the occasional barb if a safe opportunity arises. If barbs (2 move) dip will bribe 1 unit on flat terrain and then any other unit. The new friendly units will now attack up to 4 of their former comrades. This means 7 barbs (dip took up a generation point) bribe 2=5 kill hopefully 4=1 remaining. I normally wind up with a small army out of the deal, hopefully NON-units. I probably should bring along another dip for certainty but I hardly ever do. Habit, I guess.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
            X