No announcement yet.

City names with attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This ia Great stuff. I love the Goody hut Idea and the contenant themes. The go away bget lost i just funny junk.

Alex v5.8
    Don't invade Russia in the winter time.

Comment

I sometimes put -gaard -ville -burg ect after something interesting (ie Whaleville, Goldton, Coalburg, River City) or the nearest enemy (Azgaard, Chingaard, ect)

Of course, the capital is Seekeropolis.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Sometimes I name the first city Laraville for my daughter, the next Angel Town for my wife (Angela), the next Sylvan Glades for my mum (Sylvia), Victory! for my dad Victor etc, etc.

Kinda boring but I like it.

Watch out tho' if you try it. You're bound to have one or two cities that you favour. Laraville gets to have all sorts of stuff that maybe should be being built elsewhere and, if they've recently bankrupted me buying EVEN MORE clothes the silk/gold caravan just has to make a delivery to Angel Town even when it shouldn't really.

PS Just thought of a good one - for that mountain eyrie "Mile High". A city name with altitude.
        [This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 20, 2000).]

Comment

I put a couple cities behind finbar's lines in a duel: "LookBehindYou!" and "OverHere!"

Comment

I've had a few different modes of city naming:

1) Bad language cities (F*ck, Sh*t, C*nt)

2) CD Collection cities, (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica)

3) Song name Cities, (Stairway Heaven, Brain Damage, Unforgiven II)

4) Local suburbs cities (Hollywood, Culver City, Basingstoke)

5) Railway station sities (Kings Cross, Marylebone)

6) Name calling cities (Moron! Idiot! Der Brain!)

7) Author cities (Clancy, Grisham, Joyce)

8) Sporting team cities (Essex CCC, Man Utd, NY Jets, Chic. Bulls)

------------------
            "I have found you can find happiness in slavery"

neilinoz@hotmail.com
            "I have found you can find happiness in slavery"

neilinoz@hotmail.com

Comment

I accidentally created a neat city name for an agressive civ when I was editing the game's default city names. Here it is:

I

That's right, just the word "I" .

- toby

------------------
              toby robison
              criticalpaths@mindspring.com
              toby robison
              criticalpaths@mindspring.com

Comment

Whichever theme you take with city naming, make sure you choose one that will supply enough names to keep you going. Nothing worse than running out of names and having to change themes mid-theme.

*Horse, of course, would construe this to mean changing horses in mid-theme*

Anyone even remotely thinking of running with the Phil Spector 60s Girl Groups city-naming theme - Ronettes, Crystals, etc - should forget it immediately. You run out of names very quickly. Unless, of course, you segue into other Phil Spector artists like the Righteous Brothers, Ike & Tina Turner, Ray Peterson and Curtis Lee. Oh, and Gene Pitney - he recorded with Phil Spector at least once. God knows why. Regardless, a decent-sized Civ will exhaust the Phil Spector catalogue. Which is a crying shame. He was, and remains, God. Even if insane, and a rip-off merchant.

Mmm. Upon reflection, I'm probably the only person in the universe to contemplate the Phil Spector city-naming theme. I'm odd.

Feel free to forget any or all of the above.

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Au contraire Finbar. That looks like the next challenge to me. Theme still alive when you found your 50th city anyone?

"I" is indeed a good one. Agree Horse of Course? By the way, loved "Look behind You" - also "Get Lost". Yet more excellent reasons to start playing MP.

Comment

in terms of themes, i usually don't have too much of a problem keeping them alive indefinitely, after all, i only need to come up with at most 255 right? Of course most of my themes are pretty broad (cities in Texas, planets in the Star Trek Universe etc), or if i'm bored, renaming the 'extra' names to continue the city names of my chosen civilization in the city.txt file (only takes a nearby atlas ) Then there was the time I named my continents and numbered the cities on the continents (Sol-1, Sol-2, Sol-3, Centari-1, Centari-2 etc) Only problem with that was incorperating captured cities into the numbering system - having Sol-14 coming before Sol-2 on the city list for example) anyway, once a naming theme starts, i always try and stick with it to term
                    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

[This message has been edited by William Keenan (edited June 25, 2000).]

Comment

yes, well, back to the topic.......

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse on 06-19-2000 06:16 PM
                          Surprised noone has mentioned the city names of the Great Raz:

North, South, East and West Raz, Slightly South West Raz, etc. etc.

Whoooaaaaaaaaa there, Horse. After the four basic compass co-ordinates - N, S, E and W -Raz tends to opt for city names like Pert Little Breasts, if you recall. In actual fact, when I subbed for him in a diplo game, I built a couple of cities and added the compass variations - South West Raz, North North East Raz, Bit Further South Raz, etc. He weren't amused.

------------------
                          finbar
                          Mono Rules!
                          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by East Street Trader on 06-23-2000 08:12 AM</font>
                            Au contraire Finbar. That looks like the next challenge to me.

Mais oui, East Street. The key is finding a theme with the legs to carry you as far as you wish to travel down the city building path. Malheureusement, the Phil Spector 60s Girl Groups theme had so few legs as to be ... well, a virtual amputee.

On the other hand, I've had outstanding success with the Fruit theme, Vegetable theme, Cut of Meat theme, Make of Car theme, 60s Bands theme, Human Body Parts theme - people are usually loathe to attack Lower Colon - and so on. The only downside with the food related themes is that sods like A. Horse tend to attack when they're feeling peckish.

------------------
                            finbar
                            Mono Rules!
                            [This message has been edited by finbar (edited June 25, 2000).]

Comment

If I ever get hold of a "Raz civ" I'm going to have city names like "RazWithSugaronTop" and "RazWithaPuddininhisBelly".

Comment

RazLightUpMyLife
                                RazBeneathMyWings
                                HeyRaz
                                LongAndWindingRaz
                                SgtRaz'sLonelyHeartsClubBand
                                DayInTheRaz
                                ElanorRaz
                                PennyRaz
                                StairwayToRaz
                                RazOnTheWater
                                PaintItRaz
                                ICan'tGetNo(Raz)

------------------
                                finbar
                                Mono Rules!

Comment

Working...
                                X