Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best resources for first city (1x production)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since a 5 special city location is impossible, I was just joking that it would be neat to find.

p.s. As you might notice, my username is back to Tom DeMille. Woops.

Oh well, Tom' felt a bit weird, so I'm happy enough to stay as plain Tom.

Comment

I've seen quite a few mountain river squares. play on small small worlds and you will gets lots of mountains. While rare you do improve the odds considerably of a river through one.

RAH
      Quite Sure
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In my present game (SP) I have one city which includes two whales and a fish. It also has numerous hills, and a few plain/grassland squares. Needless to say, this city is doing quite well.

Jim W

Comment

Actually, its very rare, but it is possible to have 5 specials in 1 city's radius.

I saw it once in a MP game on some bizarre map size.My ally had a city near 0 meridian and there was crossover of specials that he found.3 whales and 2 "raised" silk forests.I tryed to re-create it with the map editor but havn't found the seed resource or map size again.I think it had odd numbers in the dimensions.

For a regular game where I intend to do some expanding I'd wish for whale,wine,coal and river wheat.

For small science based civ or OCC I'd wish for 2 whales,wine and gold.Preferable a manually created map where the gold and wine hills have rivers
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

SCG - I rated wheat/oasis low because I rarely irrigate - I think I'm further ahead establishing another city instead. Once Monarchy rolls around, it is indeed nice to have the extra food.

I didn't mean to imply that these preferences are the last word in strategy. Like so many other things, it will depend on your playing style. I was hoping for some critcism and new ideas (like RAH's gold mountain - which would also give your capital very nice defense).

Comment

Whales are great cause they're ready to use.
              I like wine best, cause you can mine them and get 3 shields plus the food and trade; add rail and I don't think any square can compete. Mined oasis is also nice, but weaker.

The people who aren't listing food specials almost certainly rely on WLT* for population growth.
              Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

I think another reason why many people aren't listing food specials is that many of us play 2x production in MP now. In single production, food is far more crucial for growing your cities. In double prodution, food becomes an after thought. Heck, you can build on a mountain gold sqaure and not even worry about food.
                With 2x pro, trade squares become far more important, since you usually have enough food and production to survive.
                But no matter what I'm playing, give me those whales... food, production, science, and once you have it, nobody can take the square away from you (unless you do something stupid)
                There is nothing worse in a MP game then when somebody sneaks a settler up on you and drops a new city on a special one of your cities is using, or drops a couple of vet pikeman on your gold square!
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

River gold, river wheat, five special cities!

Used to think I played this game too much. Starting to think I don't play it enough.

Course playing more (or even at all) is now kinda hard cause I keep reading all these fascinating posts - haven't started a new game since Monday.

Have to play on small maps more, too.

Rah. How do you get to found on a special and to have two more special squares inside the radius? Guess I don't understand the pattern too good. I thought they were always a knight's move away from a central square (always making the knight's sideways move anti-clockwise). Perhaps that's the four square pattern. What's this three square thing?

Guess explaining in words won't be easy. I'll try the scenario building tools (for the first time) and see if I can understand from that. Got to do that anyway to suss out Ming's post on hut pattern and some fearsome stuff on the subtleties of the special pattern.

Sorta sad that there is a hut pattern. But I suppose they worked out that an even distribution makes for more balanced play.
                  [This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 22, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Course playing more (or even at all) is now kinda hard cause I keep reading all these fascinating posts - haven't started a new game since Monday.

heh, I haven't played a game this month. About all I've done since I found this site is load some of my older games to look for things mentioned in some of the posts

For example, I've seen a few 5-special layouts (too bad it was over the ocean) I always figured it was because of the wraparound maps, but never really tried to find out. Always knew there was some sort of pattern between the huts and specials - they always seemed to be nearly identical, but shifted by a couple tiles to be 1 tile away from perfect locations - kind of annoying when finding an advanced tribe - more than once considered tearing down that tribe and moving one tile over
                    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

EST, if you read the post carefully you will note that I said the second settler takes advantange of of the other two specials in the pattern (by building a city). The only time you can build on a special and still be in reach of another one is along the 0 axis.

This is a good time to remind people of the old "using the same square for supporting two cities trick" If you have one city on the 0 coordinate and one on the highest coordinate, they can both use the same resourse squares. Great when you find a whale on the edge of the board.

RAH
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

quote:

This is a good time to remind people of the old "using the same square for supporting two cities trick" If you have one city on the 0 coordinate and one on the highest coordinate, they can both use the same resourse squares. Great when you find a whale on the edge of the board.

I remember being rather surprised when I saw 2 AI cities each using the same 6 squares (it was the Germans) Of course when I conquered both cities, I found I could do the same thing And to follow up, you still can't place the cities adjacent to each other, even if they are on the opposite sides of the wraparound. They just can use each others squares.
                        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Since I only build 8-12 cities max, I do everything to control pop growth to minimize unhappiness and maximum trade/shields. I would rather have my settlers/engineers build roads in all of the squares than irrigate, which not only takes longer but only adds a food which I usually don't want. The exception of course is the SSC where all grassland squares are roaded and irrigated.

Comment

DaveV, you rarely irrigate??? How many other folks follow that philosophy? I irrigate all the time. Should I rethink that?

BTW. Along the topic of this thread, I had my best OCC game last night. Still got clobbered around 1888 by the Minnesota Vikings but I had the science beakers cranking out like crazy. Started with two whales and two pheasants within the city limits. Speaking as a strict ICSer, this OCC thing just might catch on. Ya think?

------------------
                            Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                            Frodo lives!

Comment

I like to found a city on a grassland river. It allows an adequate defence with a phalanx. Another favorite is a wine hill, If I can get a settler to start mining it first.

Comment

I just talked to my "5 special" ally and that was on one of those oversized maps.If you ever played one these monsters then you know strange things happen with them.

I will still be watching 0 meridian though.
                                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
                                X