Unhappiness caused by city number...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappiness caused by city number...?

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the unhappiness caused by city number? Is it 6 in Despotism before any extra unhappiness, 12 in Monarchy, and none for higher gov'ts? This seems to ring a bell but I'm not sure. I assume every level lower than diety adds +1 to the number...?

Thanks.
    ~work like you don't need the money~
    ~love like you've never been hurt~
    ~dance like nobody's watchin'~
    ~live like there's no tomorrow~

I can't offhand recall the exact numbers ... and doubtless someone else will leap in to provide them - but there is a factor for map size - the larger the map the more cities you can have before they start going pear-shaped.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Here's an attempt at a table:

_____________Deity___Emperor___King____Prince____W arlord____Chief
      Despotism/_____4________6_______8_______10________12_______1 4
      Anarchy
      Monarchy______6________9_______12______15________1 8_______21
      Republic_______8________12______16______20________ 24_______28
      Democracy_____10_______15______20______25________3 0_______35
      Communism/____255______255_____255_____255_______255______25 5
      Fundamentalism

Each time you exceed a multiple of the magic number, your happiness calculation goes up one difficulty level in some cities. For Deity+1, the first citizen is unhappy; for Deity+2, you will have a very unhappy citizen.

These numbers are for a small map; I think there may be a bonus for larger maps.

Edited to add Communism/Fundamentalism row.
      [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited June 23, 2000).]

Comment

Didn't know that, about size of map I mean. Currently very relevant to me too. I played almost exclusively on large maps for quite a long time recently but last two or three games all on small maps because I'm working on butt kicking. (BLOODY hard to wean myself. All that great defensive terrain).

Anyway I've had more problems adjusting than I can readily explain and some unnoticed unhapiness factors may be a part explanation. (I've already sussed the contribution of some of the trade differences).

I wonder if anyone has the corresponding figures for large maps?

Comment

EST - I have limited experience with larger maps, but I think you can add +2 to every number in the table for a medium map, and +4 for a large map. I think this bonus is based on the smaller of the X and Y dimensions, since I didn't see any bonus on a 40x250 map.

Comment

There is a line in RULES.TXT that controls the appearance of the first unhappy citizen; it provides a base number that is then modified by other factors. I think the number was fourteen, and playing 'King' in Monarchy on a huge map (70x142), that seemed to be the number I hit.

there is also a line that controls unhappiness based on city size--I think that one is set to six or seven.

Question for the real (deity) vets: in your experience, is the AI shackled by the same unhappiness problems?

------------------
            The Mad Monk

"The capacity of a grass leaf to grow from the sheath
            at its base is a useful adaptation to herbivore grazing.
            It has also resulted, over the eons, in the piteous
            spectacle of thousands of hominids vibrating behind
            their lawnmowers from spring to fall."

-Someone's AP Biology Textbook
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Mad Monk - the AIs' happiness corresponds to that of a human playing at King difficulty (regardless of what difficulty the human player(s) select).

Comment

Working...
              X