No announcement yet.

When EXACTLY do you setup trade routes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with geofelt that there is a trade off between establishing routes and timely wonder building if he's talking about early wonders. Not later ones tho'. Point is - if you manage to squeeze out the time and resources to get early routes in (maybe giving up one of your favourite early wonders to do so) the boost from the routes and bonuses will get you far enough ahead of the A1 civs (on virtually all fronts) so that getting the happy wonders and/or military ones (or whichever ones your strat requires) will be something over which you have a degree of control. In fact if trade, exploration and expansion have been properly attended to early enough, you get to have an option of storing up some food caravans in the place you want the next wonder to be built just as insurance against unexpected spurts in A1 development.

By the by, has anyone else had occasions where an A1 civ suddenly builds a wonder without the usual prior notice being given? I don't mean the times when one of the A1s is pipped at the post and switches wonders at the last moment (or the similar case which arises when an A1 builds the same wonder in two cities simultaneously and gives both equal priority) but times when the news that the wonder has been built just comes straight out of the blue? Is this another instance of balancing when the human player has got too far ahead of the game? It certainly happens more in the late middle game than earlier. I have speculated that there are only some wonders affected by the phenomenon. Trouble is, even if so, it seems to be important ones. Interested to know if others have any thoughts on this.
    [This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 21, 2000).]

Comment

Yes, I've had an AI civ build a wonder without prior notification. Burns me up! There's nothing more satisfying than getting the notice "Artesians have almost completed building the St. Louis Space Needle" and beating them to it by buying it. In your face, Artesians!

------------------
      Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
      Frodo lives!

Comment

Working...
      X