Schisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schisms

A question to elucidate the less-well-informed?

When you capture your enemy's capital, what conditions trigger a schism in their empire? I find it highly amusing when part of the Sioux become French, for example.

I've heard it mentioned at apolyton that when an AI is deemed most powerful (supreme?!) according to the powergraph, upon losing it's capitol, a 'big split' occurs.

What I've wondered is whether the same can happen to the human player in SP when deemed supreme and upon losing the captol? Or if such could happen in a multiplayer game?

Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
    >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

I think that happened to me once (at prince level) when I was young and innocent . It must be long ago so I don't remember the exact circumstances

------------------
      Adopt, Adapt and Improve
      Adopt, Adapt and Improve

Comment

I'm not enough of a warmonger to be well up on this either. So I'll be watching the answers of the better informed with interest.

I think that a basic precondition is that the victim must be bigger (higher population) than you.

I think I've seen it mentioned that if the disparity is big enough they can split into 3.

Also saw a suggestion that it would happen when one A1 civ had previously swallowed another. Poster said he precipitated a civil war and it was the swallowed civ that emerged. Didn't sound right tho'.

Like to think of that happening to the Sioux. Hate the Sioux almost as much as the Mongols. Trouble is, hate the bloody French too!

Comment

You must sack the capitol of the population/powergraph leading civ.

And there must be less than 7 civs(including yours) present.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Everyone:

Smash has it right — but I've also precipitated schisms among powers that are less than supreme. I think the two requirements for a split involve taking a power's capital *and* that power having conquered other another power(s) in the past.

CYBERAmazon

------------------
            Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The 'less than seven civs' is correct. But I believe it can be expanded upon. I'm not sure on this, since I always play with seven civ's, but I think that the rule merely is that there must be an empty 'slot'. That is, there should be at least one less civ in the game than the amount you started out with.

I've also seen it happen that a less than supreme civ split. I would think that the rule is that the splitting civ must be higher ranked than you. Or rather, higher than the civ that captured it's capitol. A supreme civ is likely to have the means to move it's palace, so it will not easily be pushed into a civil war.

The appearing civ can be predicted. It is one of the remaining civs from a colour that was wiped of the board. Check the two civs that share the colour(s) with the extinct civ(s). i.e., if the Carthaginian civ came to an untimely end, either England or Greece, all three orange, will appear if later in the game a schism occurs. (in a civ with another colour).

A civ will not return on the board, so if all three civs of a given colour have been exterminated, two empty slots are needed for a schism to take place.

------------------
              Hasdrubal's Home page.
              Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
              Hasdrubal's Home.
              Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

Hasdrubal:
                Not Romanem, I think, should be

C.

BTW: Best home page I've ever seen!!!

[This message has been edited by catullus (edited June 19, 2000).]

Comment

Hasdrubal - No, the AIs can restart until there's no room left or until the magic date (AD 1750?) arrives. See this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/Archives/...-3-000687.html

Comment

DaveV, I had never seen that happen before, so I figured the 'three strikes is out' rule applied. It would make for a fine challenge: see how many times you can wipe those perfid Romans of the face of the earth! I'll check tonight if this rule also apllies on my 2.78 version as well as your MPG, order my elephants to get ready, and kill all them Romans over and over again. Though I might spare Catallus' life for teaching me proper Latin case endings.

------------------
                    Hasdrubal's Home page.
                    Hasdrubal's Home.

Comment

Dave's right; I once wiped out the Russians, the Romans, the Celts, and the Russians again. Well, somebody else got one of 'em actually. But they clearly can come back.

Comment

Working...
                      X