Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you hate/find most tedious in civ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you hate/find most tedious in civ?

Two things I hate about civ:

i) Rush buying: repetitive, mechanic, boring, kills the fun. Still, gotta do it to keep up in MP...

ii) Moving armour/howitzers/any unit from one side of a continent to the other via railroad one unit at a time... What were they thinking?! Ability to move units in stacks in Civ3, anyone?

What about you?

Carolus

Re: What do you hate/find most tedious in civ?

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
    ii) Moving armour/howitzers/any unit from one side of a continent to the other via railroad one unit at a time... What were they thinking?! Ability to move units in stacks in Civ3, anyone?
    In Civ III we will be able to at least move the armies
    as one pack of units, but I don't think we can move any
    other units as formations. This speculation is based
    on facts and logical brainwork.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I think you nailed it.Anything like the 2nd half of Red Front.

Xin went so far as to write a little program to incrementally rushbuy automatically.I think there were a few probs and it wasn't for MP.
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Tedium?

When its Deity's turn
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Re: What do you hate/find most tedious in civ?

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
          Two things I hate about civ:

i) Rush buying: repetitive, mechanic, boring, kills the fun. Still, gotta do it to keep up in MP...

What about you?

Carolus
          I agree, even if moving is the worst part of it. Sometimes working the ground... (I don't trust so much the Auto-enigneers command..).
          This is why I tend to have small maps and not too many cities... (and maybe this is the reason why I win rarely )
          googol... this is a number!
          "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
          "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

I forgot...

What I hate?
            When I have a teach lead - rarely occurs - and suddendly.. "Celts steal Railroad". "Celts exchange with English railroad with alphabet", "English exchange with Americans Railroad with Ceremonial Burial"... and so everybody has Railroad, I declare war and (often, veeeeery often) the Senate meets and sign some strange treaty, even if I have been nuked several times...
            ... and, of course, when I try to exchange the "Scoff at this..." makes me mad

googol... this is a number!
            "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
            "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

Late game tedium I get so bored moving all those units that I almost never finish games anymore.

The AI cheats generally don't bother me, as it needs all the help it can get. However, the ability of an AI diplomat to steal a specific tech (e.g. space flight, while they don't even have combustion yet) from a city with 9 waiting vet spies on the lookout ticks me off.
              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
              intelligence to few.

Comment

1. Watching barbarians moving on continents miles away from my units, just because I have swapped maps with other Civs.

2. Hear Hear on the moving units on railways when the Goto command won't work properly

3. Sneak attacks on caravan units that you have been moving for centuries, from countries with no good reason to go to war

4. Crappy starting locations on plains, near the Japs!

Comment

Micromanagement late in the game especially engineers and freights.

Comment

I'd say what to do with the 92 bases I have at the end of the game.

Somtimes I just don't know what to do each turn with 'surplus' bases. I won't give them away, and sometimes I just let them be. Usually, though, I have to keep checking each and every base to make sure it is doing EXACTLY what I want, becuase, afterall, I am a control freak.

Comment

Anunikoba, what are "Bases?" If you mean cities, build caravans/freights, always useful, or capitalization.

Most tedious is the long time it takes to cross water, even with the commiserate Wonders. It doesn't take years to sail from California to Japan. Also, the stupidity of the 'Goto' command. Long rail movement is definitely not an interesting aspect of the game. I don't mind the city-style micromanagement that much, even at 100+ cities, but moving each unit on the same path to shift fronts seems way too time-wasting.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I hate that the goto command doesn't always take the fastest path and sometimes can't even get the unit to where you want it. I have never even tried the automate settler function. I wouldn't trust it for a minute. I am very particular about how I develop my land.
                        Ex Fide Vive
                        Try my new mod and tell me what you think. I will be revising it per suggestions. Nine Governments Mod

Comment

Hate? Not tech stealing per se, but the absurdity of having a civ that has yet to discover Gunpowder, say, being able to steal and use Space Flight. What are they building -- a Space Chariot?

Most tedious? Since I rarely play world conquest, I guess it's cleaning up pollution late in the game; if my empire's large enough, I'm liable to forget it's there, and then it starts spreading.
                          Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; October 10, 2001, 02:54.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Tedium?

When its Deity's turn
                            I'll agree to that!

Waiting between turns is the most tedious thing for me.....

That moving units across continents one by one is up there too.
                            I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                            Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

1. Keeping track of caravan destinations. When I have several caravans going, I often lose track of their destination cities and have to press the key to remind myself of where they're supposed to be going. Of course, it's even more irritating to learn that a destination city has changed its demands.

2. Enemy partisans. When they pop up after conquering a city in late game, I have to decide whether to kill them off one by one with my remaining attack units or make peace with the enemy civ and kill the partisans at a later time. Optimal solution is to complete your world conquest before guerilla warfare.

Comment

Working...
                              X