The -$32,000 Jackpot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The -$32,000 Jackpot

I'm sure others must have experienced the bug of capturing an enemy city and scoring a quick -$32,000 (or a similar enormous negative sum) which screws up the game.

This still happens to me when playing Civ2 ver 2.42 with the latest patch installed. I've only found two ways around it:

(1) Going to back to most recent save, waiting a couple of extra turns before conquering the city in question (thus thwarting whatever inexplicable series of events which cause the bug)

(2) Going into cheat mode and editing the money back to where it should be. Effective, but makes me feel "sullied".

Is there a way to avoid this? Please don't suggest switching to MGE - I am reluctant to play SP using MGE because the other civs are so ornery - I don't need any additional handicaps!

- mindseye
    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

I haven't seen that happen in MPE yet.
    But, I had a simple solution before then.

I just kept my money in the 20 to 25,000 range. You really don't ever need anymore money than that. I would set my tax rate to whatever level was needed to stay there, while still giving me the money I needed to buy what I wanted in an average turn. Many times my tax rate was set at zero. It solves your problem, and you don't have to go back a turn or feel dirty by using the cheat menu
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
    X