The First Space Odyssey Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Space Odyssey Challenge

I read Adam Smith's 1001: A Space Odyssey Challenge thread and decided I likedd the idea so I put together a quick scenario that we can all try out.

Sticking (mostly) to AS' guidelines, this is a small (almost, it's 50x60) map with normal sized, varied continents. Also, 3 billion, wet, temperate. There is a good start for the suggested Civ, and no civ gets less than 2 specials at their starting location.

I will start this map tonight and let you all know how I do. If anyone want to try this challenge you can download it here. Play as the Sioux.

edit: After talking with other players I found that the above scenario WILL NOT WORK with Civ II 2.42, it only works with Fantastic Worlds. If you have 2.42 please do not download.

edit: This is the SOC games everyone should use, Adam Smith's SOC1 save game file.

You can also download the same file in zip format.

John-SJ

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by John-SJ (edited May 27, 2000).]</font>
    [This message has been edited by John-SJ (edited June 07, 2000).]

John:
    Thanks for pulling it together.
    Anybody interested?
    Propose we use this thread for logs, etc., other thread for strategy, rules??
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Question: just to be clear, are there any rules at all in this challenge?
      I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
      Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Hmm, can't download it... dead link.
        I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
        Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

The link works for me.

Comment

I had to try a couple of times before I could download it, so keep trying Graag.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Graag on 05-26-2000 06:00 AM
              Question: just to be clear, are there any rules at all in this challenge?

Graag, well, there are a few anyway, but more may come as we try this out. Check out http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HT...tml?date=21:53 for details.

John-SJ

Comment

I was able to download it, but I can't play it (civ says it is not a scenario file when it tries to load it).

Did you create this with MGE? I'm using v242, which will not read MGE scenarios. Most OCCers will be in the same boat. Any chance you (or someone else) could rebuild the scenario in v242?

Comment

Tom,

That is strange. I have Civ2 and FW, not MGE. I used only the cheat menu in creating the scenario.

Hmmm, I'm not very knowledgable about the ins and outs of scenario creation, anyone have any ideas why this won't work for some?

John-SJ

Comment

I think that if you have FW it will not be downward compatible with 2.42.

Comment

Same problems here as Tom. Oh well.
                      The only way to stop a terrorist, is with a bullet.

Comment

Yeah, Fantastic Worlds is v278 or something, and is not compatible with v242.

Comment

I've got the file, and its in 2.42, but I dont have a web site. Does anybody have a site I could post it on? If you do, send me an e-mail (the address in my profile is good), and I suppose I could send the file back as an attachment. Or is there a better way to send/post it?

Adam Smith
                          Technically Challenged
                          Old posters never die.
                          They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Adam,

I can post it, just send it to me in e-mail. Use the link above or in my profile.

John-SJ

Comment

Yikes!

Sorry about that guys!

I'm at work right now, I won't be able to correct this 'til this evening.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's no easy way to make this scenario compatible without starting over from the map file (if that even works), so maybe now is the time for Adam Smith to submit his. Adam, ready?

John-SJ

Comment

Working...
                              X