Who's that on that big chunk of land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's that on that big chunk of land?

Now, getting good and sick of trying to run six cities at 200 BC with a general treasury of around 69 gold, I trashed the game and started a new one.

Ah, there I am, between two huts. Knock over one, it's Ancient Wisdom. Knock over another and there's a friendly charioteer. So I build a city at a point where there's a whale and a fish, with hills to be mined, and send the charioteer running around to explore the area. By the time I've built my second city, at another Whale-and-Fish, the situation is clear. I am on an island, possibly room for six cities if I squeeze tightly!

I have a feeling I'm either going to be a Major Maritime Power, or a complete dud.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be the scenario for a Giant Island Stronghold, producing all the necessary military might to keep me alive, with trading fleets braving the vast seas and bringing back riches from foreign shores. Throw in some judicious colonizing, and I could well make my cherished trip to the stars very early.

Or am I wrong again?

You need map making, harbors, and the colossus. And quickly!!

------------------
    -GeoDan, Apolyton Geography Expert
    AKA GeoDude

Eternal tormentor and superior of Comrade Dan.
    -GeoDan

Comment

yes your trade is key , every city must have three routes, and find those repeating commodities too.... you have the two continent trading aparatus set up perfectly.... eploration is a must so is micromanagement and infrastructure....

should be a fun one
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Geography Dan on 05-22-2000 12:09 AM
        You need map making, harbors, and the colossus. And quickly!!

Mapmaking is always one of my first priorities, and harbours comes in well up on the list as well. Actually, I prefer the lighthouse, so I don't just have to follow coastlines.

As the game went on, last night and into this morning, Ifound myself in the very early AD years with gunpowder and Leos, meaning everybody was quickly musketeers.

I've been doing my best to make friends with people, while still keeping my tech level above theirs. I'm still annoyed at the Balheri! One turn after we signed a peace treaty which was to last until the stars fell from the sky and the rivers ceased to flow, they launched a sneak attack.

Fortunately for me they launched it against a charioteer fortified on a hill protecting a mine for me.

As I look around the map, I see I'm likely to have trouble with the Spanish, who have been taking over the Southwest part of the world.

However, as a man of peace and a growing army of musketeers, I think I can manage.

Any further hints would be welcome.

Jim W

Comment

Try stiring up a little trouble. See if you can talk (bribe) a few other civs into declaring war on the Spanish. They won't last long, but it will slow down the Spanish expansion.

Or, find a good defensive square near a Spanish city. Build a city on it, or just plop some good defensive units on it. Then you can watch the Spanish waste the next 2000 years trying to destroy it.
          Nothing better than a stupid AI civ
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jim W on 05-22-2000 03:08 PM
            a charioteer fortified on a hill protecting a mine for me.

Chariots shouldn't be fortified. Have phalanxes do that. Chariots should explore and attack

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SilverDragon on 05-22-2000 04:18 PM
              Originally posted by Jim W on 05-22-2000 03:08 PM
              a charioteer fortified on a hill protecting a mine for me.

Chariots shouldn't be fortified. Have phalanxes do that. Chariots should explore and attack
              Force of circumstance. The Balheri had two big cities, plus a fortification, in the immediate vicinity. After my charioteer got done discovering that and getting back to my colony, I had a mine under construction right next to the enemy fortification. I could see trouble coming, but I didn't have a phalanx to guard the mine, unless I took the one out of the city. So the charioteer ended up in the fort.

But in the normal course of things, you are quite correct. Chariots are for running around, phalanxes are for static dfefence.

Jim W

Comment

Right up to the run-down toward Apollo, and I was in a shooting war with the Spanish. I decided to spread the joy around, so I worked out an alliance with the Balheri to attack the Spanish.

To do this, I gave away some techs I would rather not have done, but I had the Balheri on my side for all of two turns, then the UN forced them out of the war.

At this point, there was a terrific exchange of techs, and then everybody was headed for space. Now, I had a little head start with Apollo, so I got Apollo, and with the SETI program, I had a Research Station in every city. Unfortunately, the Spanish have somewhere around twice the Units I have.

To get at my home base, though, they have to either cross a heck of an ocean, or go through the Balheri. This also means that I have a similar problem.

I've been producing cruise missiles in two cities every two turns, and making little nicks in the Spanish forces.

Unfortunately, we're all in the Space Race together, and I have only about four cities producing SS Structural and Components. The Spanish have about six doing the same, and the Baheri, I think, have about four.

So far, the Spanish have only been producing Structural, me and the Balheri are producing mixes of the two, and I'm trying to hinder the Spanish military as much as possible.

I doubt that the Spanish can conquer me, though they just might launch their sdhip before me if they can get it through their artificially intelligent heads that they need more than Structure.

Have I learned anything? Yeah, like don't let anybody get too far ahead of you in military units, even if you are too darn peaceful for your own good!

Jim W

Comment

uh oh.Since the ai is given a lump sum of sheilds to use each turn beware how fast the ai can build a spaceship.I've seen the ai on deity build a max ship in 3 turns.Be ready for some capitol clobberin.Maybe 3 or 4 if they have the gold to pay for the "instant palace relocation"

crunch time
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Yes, the AI 'builds' spaceships extraordinarily fast

Comment

• Working...
                    X