OCC Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC Question

I was reading Paul van den Belt's OCC rules and strategy as well as the OCC Fortnight logs. It seems many players go after Darwin's Voyage.

Question: Isn't 400 shields too expensive to pay for only two advances? Shouldn't those shields be put to better use?

It saves you at least 4 turns.if timed right you can get 4 advances in 3 turns.

1.discover tech-start Darwin's

2.Darwin's-2 techs

3-discover tech
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I just played my first civ games in nearly 6 weeks--steely resolve. Anyways, I decided to let my allies get Darwins, but first I gave them all my science. It paid off good. Fortunately the allies developed two OCC useful advances and not sciences like Amphibious Warfare or Theology.

AU
      Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
      >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

2 advances in a critical time of war can be a big jump. Lets say I've fighting a naval war and I suddenly just get steel, I would have a big advantage over destroyers.

Anyways, here is the most important wonder ranked in order.

1. Pyramid

2. Great Library

3. Mike's Chapel

4. Leo's Workshop

5. J.S. Bach's Catedral

Comment

yes, those are nice wonders, but not really helpful for an OCC game. the top-5, in order of importance for this type of game are (in my humble opinion):

1.) Apollo
          2.) Shakespeare's
          3.) Copernicus
          4.) Colossus
          5.) Isaac Newton's

I guess the theory in building Darwin's is trading shields for technology. Usually, there comes a point where you have plenty of caravans, and you're just waiting for the technology to be discovered. This is a nice feature Darwin's provides.

Certainly not a necessity, but nice to have. I am always careful about letting the AI get it though -- one time I gave the AI all my knowledge before he built Darwin's. After Darwin's was built, he discovered combustion and then flight. That really hurt me.
          The only way to stop a terrorist, is with a bullet.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by vik on 05-28-2000 05:13 PM

I guess the theory in building Darwin's is trading shields for technology. Usually, there comes a point where you have plenty of caravans, and you're just waiting for the technology to be discovered. This is a nice feature Darwin's provides.

Thanks Vik, that was my guess. I wasn't sure since I haven't played an OCC game yet. I'll try OCC next.

Comment

Working...
            X