You CAN build canals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You CAN build canals!

On a game I'm still playing there is a large inland sea. About 100 tiles, 14 across.

I had built a city on the cost of the sea, thinking it was ocean. I soon learned the dastardly british were on the other end, and couldn't get a ship into it. My new city had little production, and my cashbox was rather light, but I already had a big navy.

I noticed a one tile lake behind my city on the inland sea. I then noticed that an inlet from the ocean got with one tile, diagonally, of the inland sea. I built a city on that tile, a forest square no less, and poof, breezed a cruiser through city - lake - city and into the inland sea, where it wrought havoc.
    The forest square had a railroad as it was connected two cities, so I got 3 shields but only one food. My other worker went in the ocean.

So for 14 turns, my engineer/city/canal produced one science and one gold, and then the city/canal turned back into an engineer. My cruiser had done his duty and left for the open ocean by then.

We often will site a city on an isthmus to make a "Panama Canal" but has anyone else ever linked cities and lakes to make a longer canal system?

What's the biggest inland sea anyone has ever encountered on a computer generated map?
    Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Scouse Gits comparision game "Spindle" required this procedure.I used 3 small lakes to complete the "canal"

I never seem to get really large inland lakes.Maybe 10-15 squares max
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

A favourite naval tactic of ours is to suddenly make an "inland city" subject to naval attack. Sometimes what seems to be an unapproachable AI capital can be given a "coast" by strategically building a city adjacent to a lake.
      Suppose the AI city is three squares inland, but on a 1 square "boating lake" you build your city on the square between the coast and the other side of this lake so that the navy can blow away the defenders ignoring such details as city walls (you seriously believe that the AI has built a coastal fortress in such a location?)

Comment

I once linked 3 lakes together to get to the ocean. It was fantastic! The city that was at the one end was producing my entire sub fleet in the middle of a huge continent.
        One sub every turn and then those had to get to the battlefield somehow.

It also saved my empire from destruction. I suddenly lost most of my major coastal town and with them all of my fleet, except for my submarines... 49 subs and 3 cruisers saved my days. I'd never sunk so many ships in a counteroffensive before. Must have been dozens and dozens. Ranging from transport full of tanks and howies down to battleships and fully equiped aircraft carriers.
        For my luck my nuclear force was by about 90% sub based...You can probally imagine what happened next.

Yeah, the havoc I wrought...those where the days
        The Lost Geologist Blog
        http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Biggest inland sea?
          In one duel with Ariitea,we got really big lake. I cannot remember exact size,but i believe it was about 150 squares big.
          My life, my rules

Comment

You just realized that? I was building canal cities before I could win on Warlord. I build cities to make canals all the time, even if they don't go anywhere. I guess I'm a bit eccentric. I don't usually get big inland seas, but I usually use one to make a canal across my continent.

------------------
            Long live the Communists!
            -- SilverDragon

Comment

Not only are canals useful for inland seas, but also to cut a large continent in half and link two large oceans. Or does this just go under the "Panama Canal" thing?

Yeah i thought i had something, but i guess not.

------------------
              SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
              -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
              "It's just a flesh wound!"
              - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

I built my first "Panama Canal" city in my 2nd game, to send a battleship through on the same turn and surprise two cruisers on the other side.

The fun part this time, besides stringing through a one-tile "pond", was knowing it was a temporary city, and that it would turn back into an engineer when I didn't need the canal anymore.

I had never had an inland lake much more than 10 tiles before,
                Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

I do it all the time on World.mp, you can link the Atlantic to the Caspain sea and to that other small one to form a link from the central Asian desert to the Atlantic!
                  "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

How about this: Build a city on the shore, move a dozen of ships into the city, then disband the city and build another one square into the inland, keep on going until your ships move to the other end of the land.

Actually I haven't tried it. So it is quite possible that it will not work.

Comment

Never thought of that one Xin... I'll have to see if that one works. As usual, a different way to look at the game
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How do you guys do this? I tried to get to an inland sea and the game informd me that I can't build cities on adjacent squares.
                        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Father Beast -

You can't build cities next to each other, as you discovered. You have to build a city next to an ocean square, and on the other side of that ocean square, build another city. I hope that made sense.

------------------
                          SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                          -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                          "It's just a flesh wound!"
                          - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

In one of my latest games something relly strange happened.
                            I misread your posts and decided to build a canal with two adjacent cities (yeah, I can't do that, but I only discouvered that at the time ). So I built a city, left there my trireme and went to build the second one. Since it was impossible I rushbuilt a settler in the first city and when it disapeared, there it was my trireme swiming on dry land!!!
                            So I built the second city, the trireme entered it (so it not only survives on land but actually advances through it into the city!?!) and there it went to the ocean.

As anything like that happened to one of you before?

Comment

Once again Xin you have discovered a new Grand Strategy - now what is the most efficient fashion to create and dissolve cities?
                              EcoWiz - it seems that you have just verified the strategy proposed by Xin - see the posting above...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                              X