Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the effects (and chances) of global warming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the effects (and chances) of global warming.

As I prepare for my first nuclear war, what are the effects of global warming?

How long do they last?

The manual says it becomes possible whenever there are 9 polluted tiles, and more likely as the number of polluted tiles increases or remain polluted. Can anyone shed some light on how fast the probabilty rises?
    Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Effects are increasing number of desert/plain squares on your map.
    When your sun becomes white,you may expect global warming soon.
    Whole process will going on and on until you clean polluted squares.
    But why did you actually asked this question?
    Best way to learn is to see with your own eyes.
    My life, my rules

Comment

When it happens you'll know.What was once lush real estate will become desert,swamp,jungle etc.Most cities will have food problems and production and trade will drop.Some cities may go into disorder.

As mentioned it will not stop until the mess is cleaned up.

Dont expect the ai to cleanup.Nuke the city.Capture it.Move up engineers for cleanup.
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Viking on 05-12-2000 12:40 PM
        As I prepare for my first nuclear war, what are the effects of global warming?

In the dictionary, under the word 'suck', is where they should put global warming.

Terrain transformation on a massive scale. Kiss irrigated land goodbye, now it's jungle or swamp. That grassland is now desert. It's a nightmare for a Dem/Rep, not much better for any other Gov...

quote:

How long do they last?

The cycle starts anew afterwards. Frankly, if I global warm I bag the game.

quote:

The manual says it becomes possible whenever there are 9 polluted tiles, and more likely as the number of polluted tiles increases or remain polluted. Can anyone shed some light on how fast the probabilty rises?

When you get the 'global warming feared' message, get your ass on that pollution NOW. Reduce production, and if possible, build a few solar plants.

The real SOB of it can be when you have an extended front where you've captured large enemy cities. You can't clean it due to enemy destruction of your engineers, but the AI won't clean it either.

Suck.

Venger

Comment

Wow! Just one more possible bizarre defense. Retreat toward the polar areas, cause global warming and watch your opponents suffer!

Not that I plan to try it, but I'll bet *somebody* will. LOL!
          Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

It is a pain when plains, swamps and jungles take over developed grassland. And deserts take over plains. But on the bright side it showed me a long time ago that there was hidden specials in that grassland

Ever since I try to find them by turning to forrest the squares I think most likely.

But nothing your engineers can't put right while you do the sugested things to remove future threat of it. Solar plants are a good part of preparing for an all out war effort when you expect the use of nuclear devises may start global warming.

BTW Venger you say:
            "The cycle starts anew afterwards. Frankly, if I global warm I bag the game."

"frankly" I thought you were a big one for challenges. Get your engineers out and keep playing!! I should not say more I think you get my point.

PS: It is posted here that the AI won't clean up pollution. I have seen them do it.
            In the old Civ the AI nations would come by a polluted square of yours with a ship and go back and forth beside it (if it was by the sea) until you cleaned it up!! LOL
            The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

well the ai will clean up pollution but it doesn't put a high priority on it and besides it is kinda hard to cleanup if it has no engineers left
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Crustacian on 05-13-2000 11:22 PM

BTW Venger you say:
                "The cycle starts anew afterwards. Frankly, if I global warm I bag the game."

"frankly" I thought you were a big one for challenges. Get your engineers out and keep playing!! I should not say more I think you get my point.

I already consider the bogus AI-pollution isses and can't really take global warming on top of that. It usually happens after I've taken over large AI cities in a tough battle, who of course immediately produce pollution that the AI never worried about. So I get pissed off and bag it...

quote:

PS: It is posted here that the AI won't clean up pollution. I have seen them do it.
                In the old Civ the AI nations would come by a polluted square of yours with a ship and go back and forth beside it (if it was by the sea) until you cleaned it up!! LOL

They may clean up some of yours if it is on a city hex they use, but since they never produce ANY pollution...they never are hobbled with it as a concern. That's weak.

Venger

Comment

True, Smash. AI will clean pollution, but only when there's nothing better to do. I've had allied engineers cleaning squares well inside my empire.
                  And global warming is a terribly strong weapon to use in later stages. OK, we all hate it, but it will hurt AI most. They just can't cope with bad terrain. Their engineers wil vanish, their cities shrink, and units lose support, while you can fend it off way better. (You can see the same in jungle/mountain start maps, where the AIs never advance out of two-city despotism.)
                  Sell solar and mass transit after launching ship in OCC, and be sure no fast AI ship will ever overtake you enroute to AC, or even leave earth at all. Leave the filthy toxic Terra behind for a win.

C.

Comment

Thanks for the good info.

So my island / coastal cities will be less effected? I have a lot with whales, fish, harbor, offshore platform.

I was nuked twice by the Sioux without provocation, and will have my revenge.

They begged me to declare war against the Russians, offering an alliance for the duratino of the war. I agreed.

The Russians promplty activated their alliance with the Spanish, who declared war on me and presto, a Spanish helicopter was parked outside my capital.

I shot it down, and the Spanish activated their alliance with the Sioux, who promptly nuked me, ultimately, for allying myself with them.

They nuked me again the next turn, this time nuking an attack force fighting the Russians!

They will rue the day they stabbed me in the back. But not for very long!
                    Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

I think that the global warming/nuke war thing is a little over rated. Sometimes I try to destroy the world by just nuking everyone over and over again and get hundreds of pollution squares so you get global warming. But it take like 10 turns for it to effect and then it starts over for another 10 turns and if you want the whole planet to be one big jungle takes way too long. I figure once the first global warming start you might as well keep going that way and try to strangle to death the other civs or at least nuke them into the stone age. But no, it doesn't work the way all the WWIII moves work. It doesn't kill every living thing, too many people survive. Other then the off switch to your computer their is no real threat to the whole of humanity in civ, you can't really have a cold war when eng can just clean up nuke war in a couple turns.

Comment

Working...
                      X