Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Clark
    replied
    ...and after you have built enough caravans, BUILD SOME MORE!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    By the way, once you've built way too much more than enough caravans.........BUILD FREIGHTS

------------------
    Long live the Communists!
    -- SilverDragon

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 04-26-2000 02:31 PM
    If you have enough caravans in place you can build a SS part in every single one of your cities every turn - there is no way the AI can match this.

That's funny, I've played games where an AI civ with 10 cities cranked out 10 space ship parts a turn

They maybe able to match it, but they can't do any better... even with that cheating

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    And having built a critical mass of caravans - build some more!
    At about this stage you might well be forgiven for asking why the hell am I building all these caravans?
    The answer is hidden in the material above - Spaceship parts are considered to be Wonders (sort of) so the trick is -
    • Switch production to a suitable Wonder (Manhatten is normally available)
    • Move caravans to that city elect to "Help build Wonder" until you have 80x - City production shields in the bag - where x is 1 for Structurals, 2 for Components and 4 for Modules
    • Switch production to SS Struct/Comp/Mod (should now say one turn needed)
    • Watch spaceship grow like topsy
    If you have enough caravans in place you can build a SS part in every single one of your cities every turn - there is no way the AI can match this.
    Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

Leave a comment:

• Jim W
    replied
    What do you do when, after having built all of these caravans, there is a sudden "poof" and one of your main cities is wiped off the map, after which your Science Advisor comes on the screen gibbering about having packed too many caravans into one city and reached a critical mass of camels?

Oh, you think I'm a smart-a##? So does my wife!

Jim W

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    And now that you mention it. After you have built more than enough caravans/freights...

Build some more!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The way to get to AC is to have good tech, and to have good tech, you must follow the famous strategy: BUILD CARAVANS!!!!!

------------------
    Long live the Communists!
    -- SilverDragon

Leave a comment:

• Sten Sture
    replied
    Jim - if you have enough cities to build your spaceship, but production in each isn't up to the 80 shields a turn that geofelt references - here is a neat little trick to be ready to go the turn after building apollo:

You are familiar no doubt with the 50% shield charge if you switch from an improvement to a unit or a wonder to an improvement. Well interestingly, spaceship components are considered to be wonders! So you can start building the Cure for Cancer or Apollo or some such late game wonder in 33 cities that have 20 shield production, and three turns later if you have built Apollo in your wonder city, you can switch your 60 wonder shields to a structural without penalty and it will be completed the following turn.

Leave a comment:

• Bohlen
    replied
    Since I've been playing SP on MGE, I have thrown diplomacy out the window. The AI's rarely want to talk about anything other than trading or tribute so forget it. If I have a tech and the AI doesn't, good for me. I have had the AI break an alliance after one turn, so I just gave up trying to even talk to the AI Civs. Anymore, my strategy involves being an isolationist and minding my own business for the AC tech race type of game.

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    So true Geofelt. You just have to love those suicide attacks once you have launched your space ship. At least the dumb AI know's it's in trouble when that happens

If somebody does launch before you do... remember that you can always buy the space ship parts in an attempt to catch up. And remember, feel free to disband a unit in the city you are buying the part in to make it more affordable. The units are meaningless if the AI is going to land before you can

Leave a comment:

• inca911
    replied
    You might want to rethink your position on haveing Trade (the tech) being so beneficial to you when the AI does not have it. I frequently trade away Trade (the tech) for another beneficial advance because it gives me another civ with which I can trade! Those foreign trade routes mean way too much to my Science City to do without them. Similarly, I often trade away Railroad so they will build rails everywhere and make my eventual conquest so much easier. I used to never swap techs with the AI, but now I find I do it frequently when the available techs are nice. Same thing goes with Philosophy. I never have problems getting Mike's well before the AI so I swap Philosophy to everyone and reap some additional benefits. Also, it is often imperative to trade away a tech with every civ you can reach and get the most bang for your buck, that way they will not trade it amongst themselves and advance past you. To me, having good diplomacy tactics was a big key to winning on Deity all the time. Now I have to handicap myself by some method to play an exciting game with the computer. Oh I wish I had time for MP as well! Maybe I'll try a PBEM (Play by E-Mail) game sometime....

Leave a comment:

• Jim W
    replied
    Thank you all. Of course, there are many ways of making sure you get the ship done first/fastest.

I was interested to note the appasrent continual threat of Tech-theft by the AI. In all my playing, I believe I have only three or four times had technology stolen by the AI.

Maybe I'm doing something right without knowing it?

On the other hand, I have done a fair amount of tech-trading with the AI, especially in the last few months. Sometimes I've been able to pick up three or four good techs in a run because they want, say, Pottery.

I kind of don't like letting Trade go, or Iron-working, or Bridge-building, or some of the others, because I see them as little advantages for me.

And of course, I like to have at least a moderately good army, because someone, even if it's only Barbarians, invariably takes it into their head to attack me.

For the same reason, I like t6o keep my army just a step ahead of everybody else. Musketeers against Archers/Pikes, Rifles against Musketeers, and so on.

Thanks again. I'll keep on consulting this thread as it goes on.

Jim W

Leave a comment:

• geofelt
    replied
    Ming has some good advice; be prepared for the AI to try and even things up. In addition to theft of space techs, expect to be attacked.
    Build up your production capability and defenses BEFORE you build Apollo. After you build it, go all out to build and launch quickly. You can build more defenses after launch.
    Have 12 caravans ready to build apollo in one turn. Try to get cities built up in advance to producing a net of 80 shields per turn. Structuals cost 80 each, and other parts are multiples of 80. The fastest spaceship has 33 structuals, 8 propulsion components, 8 fuel components, and one each of habitation,life,and solar modules. It will arrive in 5.7 years if you also have fusion power. For this configuration, do not build any more or less structuals.

Leave a comment:

• Bohlen
    replied
    Ming has pointed out something that I am constantly working on improving - keeping those spies away and your techs to yourself. I can win the tech race convincingly, but it never fails that one civ steals Space Flight when they are not even close to discovering it. They then share it with EVERYBODY and then the AI tech trading really begins until they are all researching Robotics, Plastics, or another win threatening tech. I have even had techs stolen from me under a treaty in the late game and am not given the option to declare war with the thieves when I am under Democracy. Has this happened to anyone?

As far as the timeliness of launching the spaceship goes, just remember that it is not who launched first, but who gets to AC first. I have myself lost when an AI civ's ship is launched later and faster, but I have won a boatload of games when I launch 2nd. It seems that when the AI is ahead enough in techs or production to the extent that it can build a spaceship before or with you, it tends to build one that is not fully optimized. If an AI ship is launched 1st, I can usually beat it with a faster ship launched 5-10 years later.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Smith
    replied
    The ability to move units costlessly makes railroad the best defensive tech there is. This is much more important in a regular game than it is in OCC. When playing a regular game against the AI, I would move railroad up to just after sanitation.

------------------
    "I fear that I shall die a Prince."
    -Edward VII, Prince of Wales

Leave a comment:

Working...
X