No announcement yet.

Barb Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After you discover guerilla warfare, the Partisan unit becomes available. If you get a city taken over after this point (by barbs, AI, or whomever), you will see a message like "Citizens of XXX city take to the hills!" or something. And then the city you just lost is literally surrounded by these NONE partisan units before you begin your next turn. The units are now yours, but the city is no longer yours. You can probably take the city back at your leisure, but the bonus is you get around a dozen NONE partisan units under your control.

If you've never had a city taken away from you late in the game (after you've discovered guerrilla warfare), you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Give it a try.
    The only way to stop a terrorist, is with a bullet.

Comment

Vik

Partisans appear if I capture an AI city after the civ has discovered COMMUNISM. You only need Guerrilla Warfare to actually build Partisans.

-------
      Scouse Git (2)

"Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yes, I see now. Very clever. Unnecessary against the AI, but could be very useful in MP.

As an aside, though, I thought the number of partisans is a function of the city size. That may be wrong, but do you always get that many partisans from a size 1 city?
        "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
        Jonathan Swift

Comment

Bird -

I'm pretty sure you are right. I can remember taking over very large AI cities and having partisans covering every city square, and taking over small cities and have only 3-5 to deal with.

------------------
          SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
          -Homer Simpson

"Ecky eck ecky!"
          "It's just a flesh wound!"
          - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

SG-2: thanks for the correction

bird/sandmonkey:

I assure you that I had a size 2 city taken over by barbs, and I got 16 partisans out of it. Every square in the city radius had a new partisan on it, except for 3 squares that had barb units on it, and one square that had one of my tanks on it. Maybe it has to do with the total population of your civilization--i don't know, but i've also encountered what you mentioned--taking over an AI city and only seeing 3 or 4 enemy partisans popping up.

What's interesting is that I took the city back on the next turn with armor, moved all the partisans away and moved the armor away so the barbarians could take it again. When they took it, I got no partisans, no nothing.

wierd.
            [This message has been edited by vik (edited January 19, 2000).]

Comment

Vik

I think you have a point about the number of partisans being linked to the overall civ population and not to the size of the city itself. This is only anecdotal evidence - but in a recent game I captured the Zulu capital (size 12) and suffered only one partisan. By this time they were reduced to only one other city.

----------
              Scouse Git (2)
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

In a recent duel i had a grassy dead end row that I planned to build on. However, barbs were appearing regularly, so rather than fill the space up I left a city near there. Because I had GW they kept dying horribly, allowing me to collect 150 gold every few turns. handy money for bribing/wonders

Graag

------------------
                A man could not be in two places at the same time unless he were a bird!
                I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

"That reminds me, does anyone else transport settlers to islands near neighbors, build a city, then disband a cheap unit and rush-buy a (NONE) settler? It's even better after explosives, actually converting supported settlers into NONE engrs!"

How do you mean?

Comment

I've never considered that trick...so you disband the city?

Oh, does graag attribute quantum mech to being a bird or is it all their droppings?

Aurelius
                    Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
                    >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

VetLegion & Aurelius -

All you do is land a (supported) settler/engineer near a foriegn civ, build a city, and then rush-buy the settler/engineer, thus disbanding the city and giving you a NON unit (since it is closer to the enemy civ). Basically you are changing a supported unit into a NON unit with a small amount of gold. This is how it works, right?

------------------
                      SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                      -Homer Simpson

"Ecky eck ecky!"
                      "It's just a flesh wound!"
                      - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

Vik, you only get partisans the first time a city is captured. So you can't repeat the procedure with the same city again.

Comment

Number of partisans popping up: Also depends on government, IIRC. I think commie gives most, (and I think) demo #2. Most AIs go fundie in late-game wars, which will yield very few guerillas.
                          Number is still linked to city size, and 16 partisans from a size 2 city seems awfully much.

C.

Comment

one barb "trick" is once stumbled across ages ago (back in my Prince days) was when I landed a single unsupported settler on a remote continent, built a city and lost it to the Barbs the very next turn. I forgot a bout the city for a couple of 100 years and when my empire finaly reached that continent again, the barbs had taken over 7 or 8 indian and English cities, making them the 4th largest empire in the world!!!

ok, this is not much of a trick (I tried it again deliberatly later but never got such a good result) but it is definitly fun!!!

question, what is the most modern unit the Barbs ever came up with ... I've never seen anything beyond destroyer, artillery, riflemen.
                            also, can you bribe a barb leader and use him for anything usefull?

on the partisan thing, notice that sometimes you "liberate" a city and sometimes you "capture" a city? I think previous owners has something to do with the number of partisans produced eg. you lose a previously french city to the french and you won't get much out of it.

Comment

Well, here's the vital stats, as I recall them, for the time I got 16 partisans out of a size-2 city. My overall population was around 30 or 40 million, and I estimate I was much more populated than any of the AI's. My government was a democracy. I had a size 12 city about 4 or 5 spaces away (but I don't know if that matters).

Hopefully, somebody here is on their way to validating this, or running a test of their own. This is something I really took note of, because I didn't know about the partisan thing, and, like catullus said, it seemed like an awful lot of units. That's why I tried to do it again 2 turns later with the same city.

Paul--thanks for the info. Could I interpret that to mean that if I want to gain more free partisans in this manner, I would have to build another city?

Also, Paul (or anyone else intereseted), if you would be so kind as to glance at my OCC log I posted in the "OCC: BC 3500- AC 1939" thread started by Genghis, I would appreciate your critique and insight. It was my first attempt at keeping a log, and it was helpful, albeit lengthy. I don't know where us folks outside of the fortnight competition can post logs for review, so I just stuck it there. Any time spent there by you (or anyone else) would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

In my last Diety game, I had not found the 3rd civ, while I and the French were warring and making peace....Then a trireme with a dip on it, making the rounds of hut hunting in foreign lands, stumbled across Rome. We agreed to be peaceful, and my dip went on further up the black spaces, exploring....
                                Before too many spaces he came across a Barb city (Veii - taken from the Romans, and never taken back.) it was size 8 and had bunches of dragoons, legions etc around. I was fortunate to be able to get my dip out of the way of trouble and got to the city with an offer to revolt. When they accepted and became a new Mongol city, I found 3 dragoons and 4 barb kings inside which had turned into new Mongol diplomats.
                                In addition I got another dragoon and a legion outside the city, in the squares next to the city center. The whole city bribe was like 230 gold, and it returned 4 new dips, 4 dragoons and a legion, all of whom were updated over time as I got new military techs (Leos Workshop) and Espionage. The only bad thing was that they were supported (the troops) and cost a few shields. (2 I think, since I was in Monarchy at the time) The city was size 8, and had barracks, Market Place and Aquaduct as well. What a great buy!!
                                Before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then if he gets really angry at your criticism, you are a mile away, and he is barefoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X