hut tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hut tipping

I'm kinda new to Civ in general and I'm wondering if what I'm doing is very bad when it comes to tipping huts, I usually reload if I don't get a good result. I realize that this is akin to cheating but I can't seem to help myself. I hate, for an example, getting a free city in the worst possible location. What do some of you guys do when it comes to tipping huts?

Hi Aislyn and welcome

Most of us would probably take the huts as they come.

We all hate how the "Advance Tribes" are never quite in the right place, but that is a feature of the maths that generate the huts and the special resources.

There is a thread on "cheats" ie things the game allows you to do that are not accepted in common play, especially multiplayer, in the "Great Library" thread under the Strategy forums (fora?)

Comment

Originally posted by Fergus Horkan
      ...forums (fora?)
      Nah, forums is good. Nobody plants gerania in front of the house, after all. Leave latin to the latin fans.

There have been several threads in recent months about hut tipping. In addition to the GL, dig in the archive to see what apolytoners think.

One strategy that might get you off the habit of reloading is to explore with a diplomat and an explorer in tandem. First move the explorer onto the hut, with the diplomat adjacent. If there are barbarians, the diplomat provides a path for the explorer to run away. The diplomat can then either run away or bribe a unit or two. This way, you can get accustomed to finding bad things in huts without losing many units.

If you don't like advanced tribes, disband them and send a boat to pick up the settler. Sell the improvements first! Or just scoot over the one square needed to settle amid 4 specials.
      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
      intelligence to few.

Comment

I've been playing CIV for about 10 years now, and Istill reload when I'm not pleased with the hut result

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
          I've been playing CIV for about 10 years now, and Istill reload when I'm not pleased with the hut result
          To each their own. the game is meant for entertainment. As long as you are playing single play mode, and have no intention of posting records, then do what you want. Whatever turns you on It's a game... enjoy it!

On the other hand, in MP, you can't do that
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

very true. I don't play MP too often, but when I do, I face huts with honor. I take the content as it comes, don't whien or anything. often enough lost a few cities to barbs due to inattentive defense acting, combined with bad luck at a hut. anyway, I always try to make the best of it, and it's quite fun to mobilize all your cities' resources to get rid of 2 or 3 barb archers

Comment

I tip all huts, but any that Apollo reveals get sent the heavy brigade, and tipped with a spare move left to fortify.

Comment

that actually wouldn't help much actually... .erm.... look.. until the fortification is there, one turn must have passed.... by then, all barbs have attacked

Comment

erm.... look.. until the fortification is there, one turn must have passed....
                  Are you saying if armor fortifies on second or 3rd move, and is attacked at end of same turn, it's not yet fortified?

I know the little parapet isn't shown, but it's marked "F"

edit: just read the Combat thread, learnt something noo. So I've been risking my units trundling a tank to the city gates and fortifying, then bringing the howitzers in the same turn.
                  Last edited by cpemma; August 9, 2001, 19:08.

Comment

While doing as you do is fine in SP..... like Ming stated its not a possibility in MP. That said, its a tough adjustment to make if your used to resetting. I would recommend accepting the results you get..... you will become a much better player
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

ive never restarted, for two reasons-

1. im to lasy to save it
                      2. most of my huts for some reason have a tendency to be very useful, infact the only times ive tipped a hut with barbs in it, i was on a mountain but in the rare case its bad, i just count my losses and move on.
                      "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

The only time I ever reload is when I get a "long abandoned" hut. It just irks me that I get nothing for going out of my way...

I played a deity level game with the barbarian level set to "huts only". I don't think I saw a single barbarian the whole game. It seems that the AI never (or very rarely) trips a hut that contains barbarians. And if/when they do, the barbs seem to disappear as quick as they popped up.

Has anyone else noted that when a hut contains partisan barbarians, they are loathe to attack the tripping unit and usually move away or immediately disappear?

Comment

Yes, barbarian partisans like to pillage the human player's improvements. So they often run off to do that. They do NOT pillage the AI.

If the AI does find barbarians in a hut, it might as well be weeds among ruins. Even an AI warrior is strong enough to take out 8 barbarians. Meanwhile, the human player pikeman on a hill gets killed by the second horseman attack.
                          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                          intelligence to few.

Comment

More than a few times, I've been able to discover and bribe a city or two that once belonged to the AI, but now belongs to barbs. Barbs DO hassle the AI in all three forms: huts, uprisings, and from the sea. At least with raging hordes on deity, they can be very dangerous pre-gunpowder and a real nuisance thereafter. I've seen them pillage AI improvements at this level, so I know they do.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Id suggest not reloading for the following reason - it takes away one of the strategy elements - its a great dilemna especially near the beginning - on the one hand I desperately need the gold, or a good tech, or a unit, OTOH, I could get hurt by barbs, or a bad tech, or an advanced tribe i dont want - this forces you to be selective about when and where you tip huts - otherwise hut tipping gets too easy and too mindless - of course you may want your strategic challenges in other parts of the game at this point

LOTM
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X