Events? What are events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Events? What are events?

I have v2.42, MP and I will shortly be acquiring CiC & FW, but can find nothing about 'events' - I gather from these fora that they are a way of introducing some new elements into Scenarios - but that is all I know.

Will some kind person either fill me in or refer me to a suitable link?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Check out the hosted Scenario League threads here at the Apolyton forum. They have set up a scenario page that lists a lot of design tips for using events and other stuff.

Cam and blackclove have done a great job on that section. Actually that is what got me started playing some of these scenarios that guys have designed. It is amazing what some of them have done. Red Front is abolutely astounding, with summer and winter graphics and resource changes. Look out for future games and version upgrades since Xin Yu is play testing and posting game-play design suggestions.
    Be the bid!

Comment

DANGER!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

Editing the tribe name after u have set up events can crash ur whole scenario event file. I know cause it happened to me. I wish I had known about that link in advance.
      It would have saved me a lot of grief.

Comment

Sten,

Many thanks for your kind words - it's comments that we get like those that make all those hours of 'stuffing around when there are other things to do' seem worthwhile!

Neon,

lol - wait 'til you try rewriting the entire tech' tree!

Scouse Gits,

I don't have MPG Edn, but was led to believe that it had the Fantastic Worlds scenarios on it. Sadly many of the CiC scenarios aren't really 'too hot' by today's standards, but there are a few goodies still.

On events, firstly check your Civ2 directory to see if there's a file 'macro.txt' that will go some way to explaining what they're about and how to implement them.(I also would have thought MPG would have had the events editor which was introduced with FW - it too contains descriptions and help on events{?}).

Essentially within a scenario folder you may have a text file 'events.txt' what is of limited size and constructed of a simple set of instructions for the scenario to follow, that allows certain triggers to activate certain actions. A trigger may be a number of things such as a date, a technology being researched, or a unit being killed, while an action may likewise be one of several things such as a text box popping up, or the granting of money to coffers.

A simple (unformatted) example might be;
        If city taken - city=Rome - owner=Romans - then text "Rome has fallen!"

Comment

Thanks for the link Sten.
          Thanks Cam - don't forget I'm a Brit I said MP - which is just that - we do not appear to have MPG available over here - I only have 2.42 here (at work), but will check to see if macro.txt is included with the MP I have at home - but I am fairly certain that I had a good look at all the executables and failed to find anything vaguely resembling an events editor - mayhap I shall have to wait for the arrival of FW.

Slightly less , but still

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited March 28, 2000).]

Comment

lol - OK - thought MP meant Multiplayer Gold Edition. I'll be interested to know how you go with your 'home version' - we'll go from there.

Comment

fyi - MGE (Multiplayer Gold Edition ) does have the FW and CiC scenarios included.

Some of them aren't very good but make excellent practive dummies for editing!
              [This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited March 28, 2000).]
              Be the bid!

Comment

Rats! As suspected the MP I have v5.4.something does not contain any further executables after the map-editor and the game itself. Neither is there any sign of a macro.txt file, but it does support the extended tech tree and unit list.
                Anyone like to send me the missing goodies??
                Otherwise I shall have to wait for CiC & FW to arrive :lackofpatience:

------------------

Comment

Version 5.4???

I think it would be best if you waited for the 'Real McCoy', but I'll e-mail you some stuff as requested to get the ball rolling if you want to send me your address to c.hills@bigpond.com .

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited March 29, 2000).]

Comment

SG1 did you ever find a website that will deliver to that little backwater village you live in? Maybe if you told them your name is Michael Owen you could get some help.
                    Be the bid!

Comment

Thanks guys, Cam email en route. Sten we came to a deal with Aurelius. It's good to have efriends.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X