Issac Newtons College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issac Newtons College

So why must you build a university there when it is already a college itself? I know this is more of a staement than a question, cuz it's not like someone is going to say "oh because of this"
    But you never ever know so I ask...?

------------------
    The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

That's an interesting perspective Oedo, thx.
    By the way shouldn't it be Sir Issac Newton's College?

Comment

I've always thought of the "buildings" as being symbolic. They represent entire systems; for example, the marketplace represents the effort and infrstructure required to make a region commerce-friendly (in the later game, building malls, etc.). In this case, the library represents an above-average shool system, not just a library. The university represents further enhancements, including but not limited to building one or more colleges. INC represents this taken to the ultimate.
      On the other hand, if you want to consider them as actual, concrete entities, consider Newark, NJ: you have the Newark campus of Rutgers University (where I went), the New Jersey Institute of Technology literally across the street, Essex Community College two blocks down the road, and Seton Hall University nearby, along with the Newark Library and the Newark Museum. University-type institutions often congregate like this, to better facilitate the sharing of resources.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I agree with Monk, especially in the case of Wonders: for instance, JS Bach's Cathedral symbolizes, to me, the overall musical work, cathedrals, etc., not the actually place where he composed. Same with AS Trading Company, etc...

And, even in relatively small cities like Santa Fe, there are numerous colleges together (Santa Fe Community College, College of Santa Fe, Santa Fe Institute, St John's College, etc...).

Or you could look at it as the College trains people to work at the university, or vice versa.

-KhanMan
        Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
        -KhanMan

Comment

I guess INC is build for the scientists, the university is for the academics
          justice is might

Comment

BTW - I noticed a related error in John Possident's ToT strategy guide over the weekend which made me freak out a little bit.

He listed a tip to build Isaac's and Copers in different cities to get the full effect of the wonders. I thought "OMG they are not cumulative, we may not need to build Copernicus at all in an OCC game." So I fired up MGE and went back to an old 4 whales save, deleted the wonders and then rush built them again to check the science output - they are cumulative - no worries.

Now they might have changed this for ToT, I haven't played an OCC game on that yet so I didn't check it... just be aware.
            Be the bid!

Comment

good slants on things...thx

Comment

Working...
              X