Play from the same start position, compare results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play from the same start position, compare results

Seeing the OCC log threads makes me nostalgic for some comparison games I played back in the good old days. I don't much enjoy playing OCC, so I'd like to have a comparison game without the OCC restrictions. I was hoping the Apolyton tournament game would step into the breach, but nothing appears to be happening on that front.

Here's what I propose: I will generate a scenario game, which I will email to anyone who requests it. Everyone plays the game, keeping a log and saving every 20 turns. We can compare notes just like the OCC threads. You can play any strategy you like: OCC, spaceship, conquest. All participants are honor bound not to use cheap tricks like reloading huts - it's not a contest, but a comparison of civ styles.

If anyone would like to volunteer a web site for posting the starting game and peoples' final results, that would make things a lot easier. If not, I've done this via email in the past.

If you want to participate, email me (my address is in my profile) or post here. I'll be on a business trip next week, so I may not be checking in until March 6 if I can't connect to the internet from my hotel room.

This idea sounds good. It would be nice to be able to compare how well people did with different playing stiles like OCC, spaceship or conquest. In my own experience I often find that I can get to AC faster with only one city than with multiple cities; this would be a nice way to find out if OCC is really faster or that my playing stile is just better suited for OCC.

Anyway, if you need webspace I could put the game on my site. When you talk about posting the results on the website do you mean only people's logs or also the saves of the 20-turn intervals?

Comment

I'm in!

Carolus

Comment

Paul - thanks for the offer. I would like everyone to post a zip of their save files - it's the old "a picture is worth a thousand words" story. If you don't have the space for that, we can always go back to email. As far as posting log files, it would probably be just as easy to post them here (and use Gamestat's server space instead of yours).

By the way, the first game I'm planning would be extremely difficult for OCC - a medium map, no wonders (except Apollo), no huts, no barbs.

Comment

Count me in, Dave. Sounds like great fun.
          "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Depending on the time frame, I'm in as well. What about version? I only have MGE.

Comment

Great idea! A good alternative for those of us not hooked on OCC. I'm in.
              ----------
              SG (2)
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

If the map is saved as a scenario in v2.42 then most modern versions will work - Civ2 w/ patch, CiC, FW, MGE/UCC.
                ToT won't work IIRC. That way too, then everyone should be able to choose their civ and level.
                Be the bid!

Comment

You can download it zipped or unzipped. Dave told me that he played as the Zulus.

Comment

And by the way; putting all those zipped saves on my site won't be a problem unless there are a lot more players than I am expecting.

Comment

SS - that's exactly what I did! Anyone with 2.42 through MGE should be able to play. If someone plays with some version higher than 2.42, people with an earlier version won't be able to read his save files.

I emailed the file to Paul for him to post - I wanted to check it out a little further to make sure nothing strange happened, but I'll bow to the current enthusiasm.

Notes: it's a randomly generated medium map (50x80), standard rules and units, except:
                      - No goody huts
                      - No barbarians
                      - Eliminated civs do not restart

Somehow the Romans managed to build all of the wonders except for Apollo; then they mysteriously vanished from the face of the planet. It's left as a battle between you and five AIs. I suggest we all play as the Zulus; any other civ will have a different start position, invalidating the comparison to some extent. Play any difficulty level you like - this should be a somewhat challenging game. In our final reports, we should note what version of civ software we were using, and our difficulty level in the game.

Strange note: the Romans started, off the bat, in a 4-special sweet spot, on a river! Too bad they frittered it away...

Comment

That was quick. Can we play any civ and level then or should we all play using the same ground rules?

Sorry...looks like you beat me to my post. Thanks for the info, Dave.
                        [This message has been edited by Bohlen (edited February 25, 2000).]
                        "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

By the way, for those who don't know the exact years/turn numbers: if you want to save every 20 turns you should save in these years (on deity): -3000, -2000, -1000, -500, 1, 400, 800, 1200, 1550, 1750, 1790, 1830, 1860. After that turns go in one year intervals so you can just add 20 to the year.

Comment

i am in as well..... when isthis up and running
                            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

No ToT?
                              DaveV, you just sold me MGE, I planned to get it next month but hey...

Comment

Working...
                              X