Sabotaging SDI Defenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabotaging SDI Defenses

My last few games have turned into nuclear bloodbaths and I have needed to take out some SDI Defense systems in order to shower death upon the land of my enemies. In the first such recent game, I sent a spy into an enemy city to investigate the existence of an SDI. After finding one, I ordered my spy to sabotage this incredible piece of technology, however it was reported back to me that the city's SDI was protected by "barbed wire" and other means of shielding which prevented any destruction from my spy.

Is anyone familiar with this message or know of a thread where this has been touched on? What are the circumstances in which this message is displayed? Is it controlled by playing level, units fortified within the city, civ wealth, etc.? What can be done to prevent this message?

I have to admit after seeing this message for about 3 cities, I laughed my can off after planting a nuke in the first city, parachuting in, and selling the SDI. Then the real plan…after having the city captured by my enemy again I repeated the nuke, this time selling the city walls, another recapture, and endless missiles and nukes until a size 1, unprotected city disappears as my troops stomp down on the remains. Size 23 city one day, no city at all the next. Still, I wondered why I received the "unable to sabotage" message. Anyone know?
    "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

I believe SDI defenses cannot be sabotaged though I'm not quite sure. Have you ever done this succesfully? Or seen this box when attacking any other improvement? I'll have to check when I get more time.

Comment

I thought I remember doing that. But that was back when I played on Warlord in the WW79 scenario. But I'm not sure.

Comment

Unless the option is disabled in a scenario, you can't sabotage a SDI.

RAH

I also laughed my butt off when I saw that message for the first time.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

SDI's... no problem. Use howies to destroy it

Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Use "sabotage building at random", that'll get it.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Really?????
              I didn't know that. But it must take a few spies to get that done
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i was under the impression that the sdi was untouchable too.... thats why the spy can plant the nuke in the first place however i am known to be wrong from time to time
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Well...I actually took some initiative to answer my question this time. It looks as if the SDI is indeed untouchable, even when a spy is asked to randomly choose an improvement. I played a few cheat mode tests at King & Emp. and when there was an improvement being built (here, a temple) , even one with no shields in the production box, the spy always randomly chose the temple.

I asked because I thought for sure that I had at one time destroyed an SDI. I'll keep fooling with this and see if I can come up with something. It sounds as if it is a lost cause though.
                  "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Actually just logged the order in which diplomats destroyed industry in a city on a plains. I was going after the city walls to enable my troops of elephants to storm the defenders. Here is the list in the city improvements box followed by the order in which the diplomatic corps actually destroyed them.
                    Palace__________not destroyed
                    Barracks________3rd
                    Temple__________4th
                    Market Place____5th
                    CityWalls_______6th
                    Harbor__________1st
                    Colossus________not destroyed
                    MarcoPoloEmb.___not destroyed
                    CatapultProd.___2nd and 7th
                    Had 7 diplomats to send in, and as that was the last city to take to end the game, I used the 7th one just to see what would happen, if it would destroy the palace or what. So, even though the catapult production had been sabotaged and there were no shields in the box, the diplomat went ahead and sabotaged the non production of the catapult. It might have been interesting to see what would have transpired if another few diplomats had been handy to send in. Does anyone know. Can you destroy a Palace by sabotage? My guess is no. Hope this helps or is at least interesting.
                    Before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then if he gets really angry at your criticism, you are a mile away, and he is barefoot.

Comment

Poppa,

I actually meant the order of destruction as a result of howie blasts. Though the order may be the same...
                      [This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited February 22, 2000).]

Comment

poppawoppa, unfortunately if you had reloaded the game and tried it again, you would have gotten different results. (except for you inability to destroy the palace or wonders.)

I did some quantitative tests on this a while back but couldn't find the results. In general, a lot of barracks and temples destroyed early. City walls rarely fell first.

RAH
                        Prefers Howies
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The system is weighted against city walls falling. Palaces and Wonders are never destroyed. Other buildings, including SDI's can be destroyed, although I have always tried to get there with conventional weapons first!
                          Amoebas are very small
                          'The Incredible String Band'

Comment

do you lose improve ment say.... every two population points lost or is it random..... and my spies dont commit suicide... their acts are so atrotious our own govt kills them after they do the job so there is no possible "deep throat" scenario
                            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

War4,
                              Those spies must run pretty fast to escape the nuclear explosion they are 'suspected' of causing!

Comment

Working...
                              X