Civ Tidbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ Tidbits

Since I joined gameleague a few months ago... I have learned some interesting tidbits. I would like to hear some of yours:

Tidbit 1: Don't build capital on a river.

Tidbit 2: Horseback Riding is an essential to playing 1v1. for your first advance

Tidbit 3: Exploration is key.

Tidbit 4: don't worry about defense, until you have fuedalism. Or under pressure from the enemy.

Tidbit 5: Monarchy or Republic! Need I say more??
    "You can stop me on the defense, or even in the battle , but you will NEVER stop me on the from taking that hill."
    -Rommel

Am I missing something? I love building cities on rivers. Why not build your capital on a river?
    ---------
    SG (2)
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Well, it does make it easy for people to attack your capital if it is on a river. And also very easy to slip diplos/spies in.

But I still disagree. Give me a good river square for ALL my cities. The extra defense and science is just too much to pass up

And I also disagree with you point on defense. Bronze work has become far more important to me in MP than against the AI.
      If you are playing with some aggressive players, or raging hordes, a weak defense can cost you the game.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't agree with tidbit 1 and 2, and don't understand tidbit 5. RocMaster, maybe you could expand on your tidbits into tidbytes.

Comment

yes i would have to agree with Ming here... Barbs more than not make or break your game.... losing a city or a settler can be devastating especially in the early part of the game when realestate is the main concern..... while i subscribe to minimal defense..... there are times to load up on the military..... my landscape dictates what i build for warriors.... when by lots of adequate defense i like archers..... flat lands ... i take horses.... and of course lots of dips no matter where you are
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I like the concept of hearing about players'
            top five tips, in short one-liners.

Going to bed to think about mine!

-------
            SG (2)
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

1) Expand
              2) Trade squares
              3) Get out of Despotism
              4) Defend your self
              5) Attack

That should do it
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rivers, glorious rivers. And a wheat/shield/river square is to die for. Um, let me rephrase that ...

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

you are close Ming
                  1.get a non chariot or horse
                  1.expand
                  1.arrows
                  1.out of despo
                  1.defend yourself
                  2.ALLY
                  3.ATTACK(not your ally)

it is good to dream
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

ok my five things

free mounted units
                    four special capital
                    second four special city
                    expansion
                    WAR4ever

Comment

Hm, I thought SG(2) asked for tips, not MP wet dreams...

BTW, barbs don't seem to be an issue for leaguers. Could be because the lowest barb level is used as default?

Carolus

Comment

Umm, I'm not sure what we're doing here, so here's my attempt at another top 5 list:
                        1. trade/arrow special for capital
                        2. monarchy/democaracy asap
                        3. set up defenses early
                        4. rush up the tree
                        5. CLOBBER

One more thing, build caravans and when you've built enough of them, build some more.

Comment

1. Monarchy. Losing one of any doubled resource under Despotism is intolerable.

2. Rivers. Rivers = Trade = Science = Bombers vs. Pikemen. Let the barbarians come to my rivered city, the defensive bonus from the river will allow my one phalanx to hold the city without difficulty. Make a bunch of units and try taking a phalanxed city on a river--hard, isn't it! Now try it with city walls--damn near impossible! Besides, who doesn't set up an effective perimeter for defense and to watch for diplomats?? If you don't, well you've got some fundamental military issues to address if you let the catapults drive up to your front door accompanied only by the enemies' diplomats!

3. The NONE Settler. I do not use my second NONE settler to found a new city. I find he is much more valuable if he spends his time modifing the terrains around my fledgling cities. Building roads to give trade is top priority. Adding some irrigation for city growth or mines for production as needed.

4. Trade. The Trade advance allows trade routes and therefore science. Also it allows you to waste the computer in racing to build wonders via the Caravan. Caravans can also be used for scouting and early warning reconnaisance while they are traveling their intended destinations.

5. Mikes. Under Monarchy (and up to 6 cities), a few military units and a temple (with mysticism) get you up to size 6 cities with no unhappiness. Mikes enables sizes up to 10 with only a temple and three cheap military units in each city (often two obsolete warriors and the best defender available).

Comment

uh
                            carolus i dont play league games

Comment

I appreciate that you think that rivers are grand... for a cap. But I think that it is very irritating to find a undefended city on a river. So a friend tells me. You can go from one city to the next. With my strat I build a perimeter and continue to expand it. the only reason i would put a cap on the river is if there are many available and good resources.
                              "You can stop me on the defense, or even in the battle , but you will NEVER stop me on the from taking that hill."
                              -Rommel

Comment

Working...
                              X