The Last Square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Square

When you have Engineers building railroads right up to the enemy cities, what is the best way to get that last square built? More times than not, the defenses of that city kills the Engineer before they're done.

Prebuild elsewhere. Start an engineer project closer to home (say converting your hill to a plain), and then interupt it a few turns later. March up to the enemy city, hit R and voila, instant railroad. This strategy can also be used for an instant fort, but this is apparently frowned upon in multiplayer.

Comment

Another way (depending on the last square's terrain) is to use multiple engineers.

Carolus

Comment

Carolus: But if the AI defense attacks that square, don't you lose all of the stacked Engineers?

Comment

Well with 2 engineers you can build a fortress in the same turn and also build a railroad in the same turn (on flat land of course). Sometimes I have to make strange routes to make sure the last square is grassland, plains, or desert, but it spares my engineers.

you mentioned the ai attack. Well with 2 engineers the railroad is built immediately. So you must attack the same turn with howitzers/ armor. And take the city or at least empty it.
          [This message has been edited by Black Bart (edited February 21, 2000).]

Comment

Any good modern attack force should consist of many engineers. As stated, either complete the rail the turn you plan on rolling over the city, or do the old, railroad, fortress, and fill with strong defensive units trick. That's why I love the AI! They are always so nice for building all the railroads you will need to take them out in short order
            Humans aren't that stupid!
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Steve in my clobbering times.... i prework the engineer and roll him up with my vet def units.... usually more than one and if you roll onto a hill or mountain you should be fine even if a cannon attacks you
              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Thanks folks. My question arose out of playing the Civil War scenario where Engineers are NOT like the ones we all know and love. There was no way to build a RR instantly so I think they modified this unit just to add some semblance of play balance against the AI.

Comment

Steve we all knew you were smart enough.... and good excuse for the question j/k....
                  So any more good maps for me to try? as i am now limited to mini sessions of civ i need a challenging large map.... anyone ?
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Steve,

The engineers do their thing first, before the attack. Then you take the city and the next one and the next one and...

No point in building the railroad instantly in one turn if you want to attack the following turn. All the action is in the same turn. If there still is a risk of losing the engineers, stack a fortified defensive unit with them.

That being said, I trade two engineers for a chance to roll up the opposition any day...

Carolus

[This message has been edited by Carolus Rex (edited February 22, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                    X