Change to Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change to Republic

When is the best time to change to Republic from Monarchy, especially at Deity level?
    From (limited) experience it seems it is best to wait till getting Michelangelo's Chapel (I take the GL,LW then MC route) - but even then I find that I lose military units and settlers and some cities have food problems.
    I find this frustrating since other civilisations I play against always seem to change to Republic very early on with few cities and not many developments
    Incidentally, I have survived Deity but never have enough time to get to building the space ship - any advice?

Like all such questions, the answer is, "It depends". If you are expansionist, it might be better to skip Republic completely and wait for Democracy, If hyper-expansionist, wait for Democracy - get SoL and go Fundy (my preference) or Commie (there are many advocates here).
    At the other extreme, in OCC rush to Republic with a Temple and Coliseum and celebrate to size ~11 and then go Demo asap - you can sell the Temple & col once you get Shake's

See what I mean, It depends...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

p.s. Just noticed this is your first post Nick - welcome aboard! and another Brit to boot!

Comment

i played SP the other day and its just too easy.... i built all the needed wonders and ones i didn't in one city with the caravan thing and then went commie for fun and wasted the ai.... lol now if i could only do that EVERY time in MP i would be happy

------------------
        I am a civ addict. ARE U 2??????

icq 30200920

Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

SG - don't try to boot him just because he's a Brit! (perhaps this is a US/UK slang problem)

Rep in deity for me waits for either HG and temples(myst doubler) w/ some markets or Mikes. I think a lot of folks here take a straight shot at Mikes and then double back for Leo's. That might get you to Mikes fast enough to beat the unhappiness problem.

Cheers!
          Be the bid!

Comment

Sten, "to boot" in British slang simply means "as well" - once I had made the post it occurred to me that it might not translate that well across the pond.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

Comment

My fellow warrior war4 hit the nail on the head (don't ask what that means)... Get the good wonders (Sten is correct in that getting MC than doubling back to Leo), go to Democ than to Fund and then waste the other civs. It's not always that easy (right war4?), but no sense in detouring to Rep along the way to total warfare (geez, I gotta learn to play differently and stop using these parentheses)

Comment

[off topic mode]
                SG - We CalifornAmericans use boot the same way you do, but the literal translation is sorta funny. The extensive range of slang meanings for boot is unusual; a recent addition to the mix is found in the context of "Look out, I'm gonna boot," used to denote the need to vomit.
                [/off topic mode]

Please continue!
                [This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited February 02, 2000).]
                Be the bid!

Comment

Right you are Steve...... the map also has a lot to do with how quickly you contain the ai

However pretty much all maps are winable.... and go for Demo.... skip Repub..... its not worth the hassle

Comment

Definitely go for Mike's Chapel first, especially on diety level. Leo's is not nearly as important. Also, go for democracy; republic isn't that great anyway.

Comment

Sivro - there are no absolutes in civ. I've won many deity games without Mikes - for me, the one indispensable wonder is Hanging Gardens.

Comment

Talking about no absolutes - I had NEVER built the Hanging Gardens wonder and yet I can win all/most games at Emperor/Diety.

Comment

DaveV -

I agree wholeheartedly; there are no absolutes. You need to do what the situation calls for. Speaking in general terms, Mike's Chapel has been my most useful wonder. I, too, appreciate the early happiness boost from the HG; I try to build it whenever I can. I have won a lot of games without it, though. I simply can't say the same for Mike's Chapel.

Comment

I would recommend the Hanging Gardens at Emperor/Deity. In a few games, if luck is really with me, I can build the Colossus and HG in the same city. This provides a great early trade boost.

---------

Scouse Git (2)

Comment

Scouse Gits #1 or 2 i don't remember.....i like to build both in my capoital but often can't .... and i usually scrifice the gardens for it.... i am one of these guys who has to have the colossus no matter what..... its my favorite wonder SP or MP

------------------
                              I am a civ addict. ARE U 2??????

icq 30200920

Comment

Working...
                              X