Generated Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generated Worlds

Is there any tangible difference between the "archipelago," "varied," and "continents" settings for generated maps? Regardless of which one I select, I always seem to end up with the same type of map. Not that the world is going to end because my archipelago looks like a continent, but I do feel somewhat miffed when I ask for the Phillipines and end up with an Australia that got run through a blender.

Any ideas/knowledge about how the game generates maps based on that setting?

(I have version 2.42, by the way.)

Re: Generated Worlds

Originally posted by Fubla
    Australia that got run through a blender.
    ouch the poor kangaroos and wombats...
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

The difference is there, but it's not really all that staggering. The main thing is that on archipelago the continents are even thinner bands of land. On continent they have slightly more substance.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

i still find 50% of the time i start on little islands even with continents large land mass selected...

Comment

The random map generator sucks donkey dong. KrazyHorse is right, it tries to make archipelagos by having water "break" the land more frequently. Alas, it doesn't always separate them, leaving you with strands. Your best bet is to make your own.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

today on giga random map, i selected large land mass , continents and ended up with a start on a 6 square by 2 square island !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ras, which civ were you playing?
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Well then you'll probably like my Civ-game (when it gets finished),
                the randommapgenerator is already finished and it works quite well,ie. if you ask for continents you'll get them,and archipellagos are tiny islands.(am i genious or what? )

Your not so humble Shade
                ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                  Ras, which civ were you playing?
                  I think it was American or Egytian one of those two anyway, I been experimenting lately with different civs to see if anything changes ..

Comment

Fubla:
                    I've uploaded my mapeditor,try it out maybe you like those maps beter.(just don't expect to much out of it,only good randommaps like you ask => continents are continents and islands are islands)

shade(hope it helps you out)
                    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Comment

Shade -

I tried running your map editor. It opened up just fine, but when I tried to do anything with it - open a map, create a map, generate a map, whatever - I got an error message that reads:

"Access violation at address 0042016C in module 'PRJCIV5_2.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFFFF."

Um...any thoughts?

Comment

Auch...
                        does not sound good.
                        (one quick question wich version of windows are you running?(friend of mine tested it and win 2000 ****ed up))

just tried something on this computer to,gues i found the problem
                        =>if you unzip the zipfile do you get 2 maps ,one where the maps are stored and one where the graphics are stored.Do you have those maps?
                        I'll post the names tomorrow.

shade(sorry)

Comment

ok here is something that might help you out
                          => 1)unzip the zipfile in a new map.
                          2)create in this map 2 new maps name the first "gfx" and the second "mapsave"
                          3)then you put the files "landcoord.txt","landnaam.txt"and"ter.bmp" in the map "gfx"
                          and the 3 files .Wmp you put in the map "mapsave"
                          =>hope this works, it's probably the fault of the desktop.ini file that sc**ws up sorry didn't test that.

I think this should work,i'm going to test this in the morning (since it's now 0:10 am

shade

Comment

All right shade - that fixed it. And finally, archipelagos that actually are archipelagos! Well, sort of. Better than the Civ2 Map Editor anyway.

Speaking of which, I saved a map in .mp format, and the Civ2 Map Editor said it was invalid, but it worked fine in the game itself. Go figure. Also, I noticed that the resource specials in your editor didn't follow the same seed pattern as those in the Civ2 Editor - I think you went over that at your webpage. But I noticed that when you start a game on the maps, the only specials that show up are the ones that correspond with the Civ2 seed format, which means that there are huge masses of land with no specials whatsoever. (I'd like to see some of those 320 AD landings on THAT map...) Anyway, you might want to look into this, and you might not want to, considering it's designed to be an editor for your game and not Civ2.

Oh, another tiny problem - you might want to change "dessert" to "desert" on the terrain menu. Slightly different connotations.

But all in all, good work!

Comment

I'm glad it was just that.Phew what a relief.

Also, I noticed that the resource specials in your editor didn't follow the same seed pattern as those in the Civ2 Editor - I think you went over that at your webpage. But I noticed that when you start a game on the maps, the only specials that show up are the ones that correspond with the Civ2 seed format, which means that there are huge masses of land with no specials whatsoever.
                              Well yeah,Civ2 uses a seed,I just put them on the map and save them with the terraintype.(but i will take a look at the save procedure,when i was trying to get rid of the huts i played around a little with one bit of the terraincode.if this bit is turned on there can be no resources(except for huts) on that terrainsquare.So i got the idea to (ab)use this so the rescources would be placed at the same spots as mine,but it didn't work=> I probably forgot to delete that line afterward,thx for telling me.

Speaking of which, I saved a map in .mp format, and the Civ2 Map Editor said it was invalid, but it worked fine in the game itself. Go figure.

(now shoot me)It worked fine with me.(try a 40x50 map=>let me know what it does)=>probably just the round function seems like it rounds 12.5->12 instead of 13 and that might give a problem.(i'll have a look in to it)

dessert oeps (that's one of the problems if English is not your native language=>more spelling errors)

shade

Comment

Working...
                              X