Fortnight OCC Competition Proposition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 01-13-2000 10:28 AM
    Aurelius, Crow: I believe that the "hidden sweet spot" can only occur on grassland with shield.
    The hidden special terrain must be grassland, but it does not have to have a shield to hide a special. Toggle on the cheat mode and change the terrain at several special squares. You will be able to "see" the specials for all terrains except grassland (or grassland with shield).

Comment

Yes its true.Found it out while mining potential ai city sites to forest.Thought I was seein things.Specials can appear in non sheilded grasslands
      [This message has been edited by Smash (edited January 13, 2000).]
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Hi folks,
        I'm slowly learning that there is no such thing as a random map. First Huts patterns and now special terrain patterns.... I guess my OCC settlers will have a little more direction in the future.

Also, I'm glad there are some more experienced players involved in this process. But it's occurred to me that we might be playing apples and oranges during the first competition.

Some of my early posts don't quite mesh with my later posts Tell me if the following things contradict anyones understanding of the competition rules:

0) I'm still not certain if the map is random or edited (I have no experience in editing maps or making scenarios.)

1) We all have the same map.

2) We all have the same starting position (Year 4000 BC)

3) Smash's suggestion that we use a scenario so all can play and at different levels.

4) We may start our city anywhere at any time. (I'm sorry about some prior posts that leave this point confused. Never meant to say that we'd have to start our city at tile one or in the same location.)

5) For OCC rules and strategy and the .scn for the competition, go to Paul's OCC link.

ahhhh feel free to clarify things to ME if I don't understand the rules

Here is Sten Sture's starting graphic:
        http://www.farmhand.com/Fortnight_OCC_One.html

I'm just posting this graphic as a I always get excited when I see the dark space. Hopefully we'll have a lot of wandering settlers.

Aurelius--To work now, play later.
        Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
        >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

The map is basically random with a couple of minor modifications to change a few land bridges and enhance the initial starting postion.
          Be the bid!

Comment

Aurelius - that's how I understand the rules. Although as we go along it might be interesting for the maker of the map to wander a bit & settle a city, then save and send it out.
            AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Dam double.This site doesn't work to well in the day for me
              [This message has been edited by Smash (edited January 13, 2000).]
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

well I can't do a dam thing with it. mac sucks.Actually my ignorance sucks

Comment

Eureka!I am so stupid.There is a read me with the MAC version that kinda sorta explains how to convert pc saves.ou don't really have to do much.

Comment

I thought I was going to have to go buy a Mac and make up a new one for you!
                    Be the bid!

Comment

OK, so I know where to find the rules. I know where to get the scenario. But I was wondering if there was a consensus as to preferred difficulty level for this contest? I'd like to see how I fare against experienced OCC players and wish to play at the same difficulty level. Additionally, are most of you using v 2.42 or MPG? Also, is there a particular start date for this contest, or shall we start at anytime? I think that's enough questions, don't you? :-)

Comment

inca - the 'real' OCC rules specify deity but for this competition I don't think it really matters as long as you say what level you're playing on. I would bet that most people are playing on deity though. I am planning on starting as soon as I get home; AFAIC you can start as soon as the game has been posted. I am using MGE, it seems that we are close to evenly split between it and 2.42. Keep in mind that Paul has made all his records on 2.42 and those of us that play MGE have noticed that the AI is uncooperative compared to 2.42, ie it is more difficult to get tribute or to even to get them to share maps!

Hope this helps, I'll report back with my results tomorrow.
                        AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Feel free to try out bizarre strategies on this thing. I have been thinking of a few and I am planning to use one. Since I revealed the map before I modified it, I should use the experience to do something different than make a bee line for every hut (like I remember.) I really wish I could have included events from Paul's record game so we would get notices like "400ad - Paul discovers Automobile" Ohmygod, I have a size 8 city and I'm researching Masonry! Hahaha, I think it would have been funny.
                          Be the bid!

Comment

Jeez, I tried a OCC on diety, I lost to suix they beat me to AC. It is much harder then king that i can tell you...

I am still plain flabergasted by pauls record. Good work.

------------------
                            Ah man! Ghandi! New game.

-Genghis Al
                            Don't invade Russia in the winter time.

Comment

Okay, now it is clear. I probaly won't do a whole lot of changing but it's good to know I can if I need to.

Comment

I started playing last night and I'm not doing too well.

Hope to finish this weekend, one way or the other...

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                                X