No announcement yet.

Fortnight OCC Competition Proposition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG - I saved a decent map last eve, but I forgot to email it to work (got side tracked watching an FA Cup match. ) so I was going to do that tonight; if you don't want a new map, we could use yours. Either way. I could dress one up for King play as well if some of you want a warm-up.
    Be the bid!

Comment

I'm not too familiar with .sav's at different levels (king or diety,) but if the game can be played at different levels and with the same map, that would be more inclusive/good. The logs or posts can just include the level and the city start date. It occurs to me that maybe this is undermining OCC rules--but we aren't setting records.

SG, right now, the competition is very informal. Maybe at some point we can organize a highly competitive format. For now, just play and have fun. I'm sure I'll have late 1900 scores if I don't get blown up or get real lucky.

Why don't SS and SG both submit their positions to Paul and send me a copy so I can make an image to entice other players into the gathering

Aurelius
      (farmhand@best.com)
      Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
      >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

Boy, all you great civers know how to make a guy feel unwanted

I do have on my list to start playing OCC - after I learn a few things first and wrap up a few projects in the next few weeks. I am following along closely and would be very interested in the various results. Good luck friends.

Comment

I think I can do the same map at different levels...hmmmm

And Clark you have to play as a "control" group in the game. Without reading any of the tips, try to win the game; Winning at all on the first try is a record in my book.
          Be the bid!

Comment

If you start with a map, you get to pick your tribe,difficulty etc. You also get the choice to randomize/not the starting positions. In addition, the special resources are normally randomly distributed. If one creates a map, they can specify a non-random seed so it will be the same for all.
            For a better comparison, you can save before the first movement, then all the random stuff is set.

Comment

To the leader of the golden horde,

When I write a log I have Word minimised and just switch between civ and the open Word document. Not sure that it's simpler, but that's what I have to do. My writing stinks...

See you guys on Alpha Centauri!

Carolus

Comment

Save it as a scenario and it will be the same for all.This makes it playable at any level also.
                [This message has been edited by Smash (edited January 11, 2000).]
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Carolus - I use an excel sheet to keep track of my progress. I have a column for gold, diplomacy, techs, etc, all I have to do is fill in dates with the important information.
                  Aurelius - are we about ready to start teh competition?

AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

My apologies for the delay... I forgot that with all of the changes I made to my rules.txt on version 2.42, that I couldn't use the scenario save until I had converted my rules.txt back to the original version. Of course I hadn't been smart enough to save a back up copy of the rules.txt so I had to find my original Civ CD, which was the time equivalent of sending an archer around the artic circle. Anyway I finally found it this morning before leaving for work, but I will have to wait to get home in 8 hours or so to reinstall the original files and then send the thing out.

Short version of the story: If anyone has a 2.42 scenario save map ready to go, be my guest to go send it out.
                    Be the bid!

Comment

Sten, you should realise that there were some changes to rules.txt in the various patches, so unless your CD version is 2.42 you need the rules.txt from the 2.42 patch.

Comment

I think my original CD is 2.42, but I'll double and triple check. Thanks for the alert. Then again I could make a few "subtle" changes... hmmmm
                        Be the bid!

Comment

Crow,

Things are moving along much faster than I ever imagined. Also, in all my ignorance, I wouldn't dare nudge things along. Though I'm curious about the changes Sten winked at ...

A couple days ago, I tried to purchase a basket full of goodies at microprose. I had a hard time figuring out which game is v2.42. And then I couldn't get the game to add to my basket. This online buying is not real intuitive or easy with all the forms stuffed in my face. Can anyone tell me what I need for multiplayer and v2.42. I've assumed multiplayer edition for multiplayer, but a bit of direction would be helpful to the hapless.

And then there was ToT and ... too many choices for me. It's like choosing the right can of beans from the can foods isle

Aurelius--daggonit 1-800 isn't home my time either

Comment

Aurelius - Sorry, didn't mean to push you . I am just chomping at the bit to be able to compare my games more directly with others. In the meantime I can try to improve my play. Last night I had a game with three specials and I terraformed where the fourth should've been but didn't get anything. I still managed to get to AC by 1945 though. The three specials were fish, coal and wheat. This really makes me wonder about my other games as the best I've done so far is 1930, which is bad enough but looks really crappy compared to the 1945 with only 3 specials. Maybe I just really improved my game last night ...

AH has shrink shop open, and if you want advice from an Aussie who thinks he's a horse that likes having a gay Greek general riding his backside then that's still available. - Lancer

Comment

Hey crow,
                              I've seen posts referring to the expected terraformed special before. What are the indications? Usually when I terraform and a special occurs, I'm pleasantly surprised. I liked your spread sheet idea and Carolus' opened Word.

Oh Carolus Rex, is Charles the XI the leader of your horde And where is that old thread you mentioned concerning post names?

AU

Comment

Subtle changes?..Like barbs with an attack value of 12?hehehe
                                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
                                X