At Least I've Got my Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least I've Got my Pride

As soon as I began reading about OCC, two weeks ago, I knew I had to give it a try. It was so macho; so sneaky. To snatch victory out from under the noses of an AI that could have destroyed you during millenia seemed almost Machiavellian. I started small. Prince, at first. It was almost surprising how easy it was. Next came King. That's where I made my first mistake. I launched my spaceship late in the nineteenth century, then sat back and waited for victory to come to me, but my hubris was justifiably punished with ate, the wrath of the gods. The Vikings got superconductor thirteen years before I was due to land. "What can they do now?" I asked myself. It hadn't yet dawned on me that their years without superconductor had seen them constructing components and structurals en masse. They launched a year later. 39-6-6-1-1-1. Flight time of about ten years. I had no diplomats, no nukes, and hadn't even built the Manhattan project yet. I shut the game down and went for a walk. The next day, I came back. That was yesterday. As I started the game, I began yelling "King didn't work. Let's see how you like Emperor". The computer actually did a double take. I grabbed myself a good little spot. It bordered the ocean, had three river squares, a wine, a silk, a whale, and one grassland sitting right on top of what my powers told me was another trade special. The going was slow, at first. I was surrounded by the Mongols and the Celts. Neither of them would ally with me. I gave them techs. I declared war on their enemies. I did things no man should have to do for a stinking computer, all to no avail. The Mongols even declared war on me. I can only say that whatever happened to them was well deseved. "Fine!" I said "Two can play at that game". I built a trireme. I built caravans. I traded with the French, the Chinese, the Babylonians. Just as I was getting scared of the Celts' ominous habit of building city after city after city, my experience with diplomacy forced them to come to the table asking for an alliance. The mass of cities which had seemed so lately a smothering wave now appeared as a comforting blanket. I hinted that I wouldn't be entirely displeased if the Mongols underwent an...accident of some kind. Cunoebolin looked me in the eye and whispered "I've been thinking the same thing". I think the Mongols kept Samarkand. Everything else...well, everything else went to prove what crossing Henry VIII could mean. Things were going my way, but that's when I started to make mistakes. Little things, at first. Discovering Democracy one turn early. Delivering a caravan when my science bar was already almost full. Like I said, little things, but people were beginning to notice. They were beginning to talk. "What's with Henry?" they asked "He used to be so...good". The pressure was getting to me. The low point was reached after I'd poured in 12 caravans to build a wonder. My roommate (who understands the Civ way, in a minor fashion) walked into my throne room, regarded the situation, and asked "Dude, why are you building SETI?" I had him beheaded. Switching to a Man. Plant was the most painful 300 shields I'd ever lost. To make a long story short, I eked out a landing in 1942. I'm going after Deity now.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

ROTFLMAO!!

Great story - great game - Why did you build SETI?

The way of the Paulicy is very attractive - have a go at some of the fortnightly games - references to be found in said Paulicy. It is extremely enlightening - and humbling - to read some of the posted logs ...

Jest keep on civin' ...
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
      ROTFLMAO!!

Great story - great game - Why did you build SETI?
      I didn't end up building it. My roommate's comment woke me up to the fact that somehow I'd confused SETI and the Apollo Project. I poured 600 caravan shields into SETI, then had to switch to a manufacturing plant at the last second. That was where my loss of 300 shields came from. Space Flight (and with it my next useful Wonder) was at least four turns off.

By the way, which Scouse Git are you? It seems odd that three people use the same login.
      Last edited by KrazyHorse; June 22, 2001, 12:46.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They say at the bottom. Of course, I confuse them anyway.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by FireDragon
          They say at the bottom
          How so?
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I didn't end up building it. My roommate's comment woke me up to the fact that somehow I'd confused SETI and the Apollo Project. I poured 600 caravan shields into SETI, then had to switch to a manufacturing plant at the last second. That was where my loss of 300 shields came from. Space Flight (and with it my next useful Wonder) was at least four turns off.

By the way, which Scouse Git are you? It seems odd that three people use the same login.
            Isn't that what capitization is for, since it stores all the shields in the box at that moment so you can change to the required wonder in 4 turns time without losing any of them.

EOL
            "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."

Comment

Doesn't matter. Four turns, at the production rate I was at, was worth more than two hundred shields anyway. I figured I'd make the best of a bad job, and grab a man. plant.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The continuing SG saga ...

They say at the bottom...

not entirely true - SG[1] - the mad academic and rabid agressive rodent has stolen the sig which says (surprisingly) Scouse Git[1]; SG(2) - the Grand Admiral - signs his posts (rather confusingly I feel) SG(2); while SG{3} - SG[1]'s brat daughter starts her posts with the totally cryptic SG{3} - I trust you are all totally confused now!!!!

Comment

Yarrrggg! I got trashed by the Celts in the endgame. I even went back forty years and tried again, but the same thing happened. They built SETI, and it cruised them into an easy victory. I might have been able to land 5 or so turns after them, say in 1908. Oh well. Try, try again and all that garbage.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It all goes to show - you were right to decapitate your roomie - had he not interfered you would have built SETI and the dreaded Celts would never have caught up with you

Comment

Well, this isn't going to be impressive to anybody but me, but I finally did it on my 3rd serious attempt (any game I quit before 3000b.c. is not a true attempt ). Deity, Raging Hordes, Random Normal Map, English, 1903a.d. No other civ even got close. I was afraid that the French might wipe me off the face of the planet, but they were very friendly. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that their nearest city was on another continent? Anyway, here's my starting position. I built my first city a little way (~10 squares) north-westish of my start. Here's the 4000b.c. start file.
                      Attached Files
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

...and here's my final position in 1902a.d.

I went early Republic and never looked back. I built the Colossus, mainly because I had nothing else to do. I got Trade fairly late, and as a result I had to be a little creative with my production goals. I didn't end up even researching Monarchy.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Doh!

I mean....here's my final postion.
                          Attached Files
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well done, KH - but why "[build] the Colossus ... because I had nothing else to do"? The Colossus is a near essential to a successful OCC game with it's doubled trade arrows and long life ...

Comment

Not with early republic and three trade specials+whale, it's not doubled.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X