Alex's 1st OCC Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex's 1st OCC Victory

I landed my ship in 1984. And I did all of it with Ghandi! Starting spot with 3 whales and 1 wine.

The question I need to ask is... How do I micromanage? I need to beat 1950 next game.

------------------
    Ah man! Ghandi! New game.

-Genghis Al
    Don't invade Russia in the winter time.

Congrats.First one is always sweetest.

How do you micromanage?Thats a big question.The actual technique is to open city window,and by clicking on the city radius map you can move your "workers" to different locations.How to do it well is a question best answered by others.I generally like to work "arrow producing" squares first but you have to balance production and food also.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Yes, but at what times in the game should I put workers on food rather then trade. Shields reather than food...

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

Also, the OCC giude says never give money to AI. But what if they demand it when they meet you? Or if you have 2 allies and they are war and they keep asking for money to stay allied?

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

1.well..thats just it.If I knew I'd be world champ or something.Move your workers when the food box is about to fill.Any extra is lost.Same deal with the sheild box.No need to produce 10 sheilds if you only need 5 to finish something.>>>warning<<<this can be extremely tedious in regular games

2.If you are using the Gold version..experiment.I've given 50 gold one turn for peace and got back 150 the next turn in tribute.
          [This message has been edited by Smash (edited January 05, 2000).]
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

genghis--congratulations! -- i got my first today also. i made a custom map, saved before every goody hut, and landed that sucker in 2018. some may laugh, but i'm pretty proud of it.

as for what smash said, i can vouch also. one guy demanded like 150 gold one time. i gave it, and gave some technology, then asked for an alliance. after the alliance was established, i asked for a gift and he gave me something like 600 gold. it really made me laugh -- i'm not using the gold version, either, so like he suggested -- experiment
            [This message has been edited by vik (edited January 05, 2000).]
            The only way to stop a terrorist, is with a bullet.

Comment

Hey Genghis,

Congrats.

Hey I saw your micromanaging question at another post, but I had some computer problems.

Another micromanaging trick relates to rush buying. After you rush buy a unit, you should always remember to reallocate resources from shield to food and/or trade.

Yeah, this micromangaging is not for the 50 + city games. But in the early phases of any game it is important. But in OCC, it is required (record or not) and not too annoying.

Another example of micromanaging might be when you need 9 more shields but can't get but 8 shields, so you just rush buy it and get a jump on the next production.

It's all efficiency.

Later Minnesota Al.

Aurelius.
              Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"&gt; &gt; Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
              &gt;doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

You should also micromanage your science rate in OCC because extra beakers from the city making the discovery are not carried over to the next.

Comment

Hmmm,

A friend once told me to turn off science when I set out to build Darwin's voyage. This point about no science carryover seems to have eluded me. That should help. Though, it's kind of hard to measure beakers in the late game. So it's really true that science doesn't carry over? Dat should help.

Aurelius.
                  Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"&gt; &gt; Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
                  &gt;doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, but it looks that you can't write micromanagment on paper. Practice is what should help me, only about 40 more games till I get near the record.

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

Excess science from the city making the discovery does not carry over. In OCC this means that you should micromanage your science so that you produce just enough for the next discovery.

On Darwin's, I always rushbuy that when I have made a new discovery. Since beakers are applied after shields the beakers from that turn will be applied to the new science you start researching after finishing Darwin's

Comment

Working...
                      X