End frustration - lightning conquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End frustration - lightning conquest

This is a neat trick I discovered in my current game that helps in winning a Lightning War. Actually, it’s probably not my discovery – I think I have read of derivations elsewhere – but it works a treat and I wanted to share it with you.

First some background. Playing the Mongols at Emperor level (medium world, 7 civs, restless tribes) I had risen to prominence and destroyed the Chinese, Greek and Egyptian civs along the way. The year was 1973 and I was faced with an alliance of powers (French, Russians, Japanese) that were equal in science to me and had similarly equipped armies. Singularly they were no match for me but together they would prevent me acquiring the science to build that spaceship I wanted! As they nibbled away at my borders and broke cease fire after cease fire I realised I needed to destroy them to have peace (oxymoron). But therein was my dilemma – the French had the United Nations and I was a Democracy – whenever they went to war with me I would strike with devastating force only to have my stupid senate sign a UN sponsored cease fire until they broke it next time. If I became a Fundamentalist state they would bribe my cities to revolt. Similarly the Russians and Japanese continually attacked one of my best production cities on my eastern frontier forcing it to defend itself rather than produce at maximum capacity. If I attacked and captured a city my army was immediately hindered from further movement by the presence of partisan guerillas. Furthermore the enemy had placed well fortified units throughout their territory preventing the movement of my armies. I did not have paratroops nor nuclear weapons (and I wouldn’t use them anyway because of the growing yellow-white dot in the top-right of my screen!). They all had to go!!

So this is the cunning plan I devised. It was the chief of my secret police who put me on to it. He suggested:

1. As a democracy, put all cities on war production building nothing but spies, howitzers, some tanks and mechanised infantry. Give 2 years for this – our cease fire with the French will either expire or be broken by them around the end of this time and then we counter attack.
    2. By the end of 1974 I had 10 or so howitzer units stationed in their home cities (to keep them happy) with another 10 or so close to completion, 6 or so spies and a few tanks. I already had a good supply of defensive units holding my cities. I stationed a tank unit in a fortification near Paris to provoke the French, whose complaint was duly noted (and ignored!). They eventually cracked and attacked – destroying quite a few of my defending units but not taking any cities. The Russians and Japanese declare war. Thus the fun began...
    3. First step – convince the people that they needed a Fundamentalist government – my secret police did so and most of my cities went into anarchy. I had free reign to do as I wished free of interference!
    4. Both I and my enemies had railroads connecting our cities – a prerequisite for quick conquest! I moved all the spies I had to form a string of ZOCs through enemy ZOCs to the first city to be taken. (Do not end any unit’s turn yourself – click on the next unit to move so that you can move them again later – the order of how this process is carried out is vital) With my spies opening a corridor to the first city I moved a howitzer into position against it along the railroads the French had so thoughtfully provided! With an attack strength of 12 a howitzer is as offensive as a battleship and much, much cheaper to produce. You can usually count on it destroying 2 enemy units in a city (walls are ignored) even though sometimes only 1 if they put up a good defence. Anyway using the closest spy I can keep an eye on how the howitzers are going until no further defenders are left.
    5. DO NOT capture the city at this point. Move a good defensive unit into position and leave them there (do not end their turn – simply click on the next unit you want to move). You do not want to have those pesky partisans appear until the end of the turn/conquest!
    6. Then move your spies into position forming a corridor to the next city and follow the same procedure. You will probably need 1 howitzer for every 2 strong defenders. You can leave the mop up of ships, missiles (even nuclear ones!) to the defensive unit you move into position just before capturing the city.
    7. The spies are vital – they form the corridors through which your units move ignoring enemy ZOCs. They also check out what defences the enemy cities have. You can even use them to cause a city to revolt, but this can be expensive – use it only if you are running out of offensive units.
    8. Another unit I have not mentioned above that is vital in situations where a railroad is not present are engineers. If a railroad link is not present bring all your engineers from all corners of your empire and build it using spies to gain access through enemy ZOCs if necessary. Without railroads your attacking units will lose strength if they can get to the cities at all.
    9. Don’t even bother talking with the inevitable emissaries sent from your enemies – you are determined to destroy them, why get distracted?
    10. 1975 – all major French cities captured, their capacity to resist broken. A sense of urgency created as Moscow had nearly completed the Manhatten Project!
    11. 1976 – French partisan mopped up. Railroad link to Russian cities built. Surviving howitzers (most) put into newly captured French cities to recuperate. Other cities continue war production. Cities in revolt brought under control.
    12. 1977 – Complete change to Fundamentalism. All but one Russian city captured using the method above but not before they built the Manhatten Project. Now the Japanese had nuclear capacity gained from the Russians!
    13. 1978 – year of consolidation – units worn out from campaign. Took only 2 Japanese cities.
    14. 1979 – Japanese nuclear strikes against 2 of the captured Russian cites! Many units destroyed including 4 spies stationed there. Pollution now a real problem – ice cap melt a threat. Doves suggest cease fire – hawks win! We must achieve total victory or forever live in fear – gamble on Japanese only having 2 nuclear missiles.
    15. 1980 – they did! Spies find other cities producing them. All but 1 Japanese city captured. Final Russian city taken – Russian civ destroyed. Japanese surrender. I demand that they remove their troops and they agree – all partisans removed. A sigh of relief goes up across the land – 1 well contained Japanese city remains and 2 very weak French cities – no threat remains to my complete dominance.
    16. In less than 5 years I effectively removed 3 super powers and control 99% of the world – now I am free to return to Democracy and build that spaceship!

This method (although unrealistic in the real world – how my spies managed to keep armoured columns and huge guns hidden from the enemy remains a mystery!) works and overcomes the frustration of the strongest power not being fully able to exercise its hegemony. I tried peace – it didn’t work. Thank God, it’s only a game.

This is pretty basic gameplay. But glad to hear you've learned.

Comment

Working...
    X