OCC+AC=Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC+AC=Problem

How in the world do you build a spachip in one city!? it would take at least 25 turns wouldn't it? How can those amazing records be set?

------------------
    Ah man! Ghandi! New game.

-Genghis Al
    Don't invade Russia in the winter time.

yes 25 turns.Apollo and 24 SS parts.

A little luck and alot of skill
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Thats amazing

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

Thats assuming the city is producing at least 80 sheilds and you have at least 9 caravans/freights/units to disband
        Finish Apollo any which way.

Structurals are 80 sheilds a pop,so thats 1 per turn for 15 turns.

Components(160 sheilds) are done by disbanding a caravan.Rushing a structural, then switching to component.Thats 22 turns.

Modules are rushed by disband and/or outright buying usually.25 turns.Launch
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

How can you get all the tech so early that there is 25 years to spare, and you still land the thing before my not OCC game. I play ICS with a SSC and my city usually make 800 science at 60-70%. I get all the tech around 1930. In an OCC how is you city that good?

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

I've only tried one game of OCC (and got clobbered) but I think I know the approach. You make sure your one city is the SSC, make peace with the other civilizations, and trade like crazy with 'em, both in the form of advancements and caravans.
            [This message has been edited by kcbob (edited December 24, 1999).]
            Frodo lives!

Comment

Making caravans and city imporovments and wonders all in one city... You'd have to be some kind of guru.

Great job

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

OCC city with good trade specials should produce at least 1000 beakers later on.With Shakes luxury rate is 0.

contact with other civs is very important.The sooner the better.Early coddling to them pays off with tribute from alliances.Periodic gifting of techs,exchanges of maps can get you the receptive,cordial or worshipful attitude you want.I'll gift/exchange up to but not including flight.No Astronomy until Cope's is built.No medicine until Shakes is built etc.

Trade routes make a huge difference.Probably a good idea to be in Republic before first one is setup in addition to having a market.

Following a precise tech path is important as several techs are not needed for success.There is no strategy for not being offered the right tech.If possible,pick something the ai has and try to trade for it.

The first "we love" days under Republic are pretty important too.You want swell up to 12 while ais are 5 or 6.Up to 21 while ais are mostly still 8.

If you follow Paul's strategy you will have success.Maybe not 1800 something but success.

The gold version ai is substantially more hostile than the single player version making Paul's ideas more difficult to implement.But it can be beaten.
                [This message has been edited by Smash (edited December 24, 1999).]

Comment

Hey thanks for all the help.

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

The TOT AI is also a pain in the ass...
                    I give them everything and always make peace.
                    I am even polite when the stupid bastards sit a unit right on my silk. And still they come in and threat, make war etc. They threat for all the tech. If I have 230 gold, they ask 200. If I have 1600, they ask 1500... I think TOT AI is even more hostile then any other. I even edited the leader personalities and made them all peaceloving, but still...
                    Well, I am going back to old trireme&crusader routine, enough OCC for me

Comment

Hey Smash,

When do you develope Flight? That seems like a critical decision as it makes Collosus obselete. With my nip and tuck OCC games, I usually wait until I have robotics and Laser and then I go for Flight. Sometimes I have a choice between Flight and Amphibious warfare and Theology and maybe Guerilla Warfare....

I was also wondering about defensing the One City. Do you build alot of fortresses in mountain squares four of five squares away?

One neat OCC tactic is to use all those Freight to fill the lands around your city so no diplomats or settlers can approach or encroach.

Oh, also, when talking about caravans/frieght, you always use the word, disband! Don't you help 'build the wonder' and then switch to components or modules without penalty? That was Scouse Gits revelation.

Thanks for your great ideas. I've managed to squeak by 4 or 5 times now. I do really well when I have a city in remote lands given a whale and river and maybe Gold. One of these days I'm going to find that third whale and have monarchy prior to cultivation!

Aurelius
                      Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
                      >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

I just finnished a game, and I think my next game will be OCC. Wish me luck. I hope I don't start next to Ghondi...

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

Here is Paul's recommended tech goal path which I find most helpful.

Bronze
                          Monarchy
                          Writing
                          Trade
                          Construction
                          +Republic+
                          +Astronomy+--(one of these 2 usually via Philosophy)
                          Medicine
                          Sanitation
                          University
                          Banking
                          Gravity
                          Democracy
                          Economics
                          Explosives
                          Refrigeration
                          Railroad
                          Automobile
                          Computers
                          Robotics
                          Spaceflight
                          Plastics
                          Super Conductor
                          Fusion Power

this is the "goal" path.Not the exact path.So Flight is after Robotics but before Laser.You want to be building the SS as you discover new parts.

Defense is dictated by terrain and ai activity.If you can setup a "chokepoint" then by all means.If I start seeing ai units or heavy barb activity,I'll build a fortress to keep them from pillaging.If its close,then you want advance warning of approaching dips.So patrolling or blocking may be required.

I like to let ai caravans thru and bribe them(if possible) and send em back.

I usually disband as sometimes there is no wonder available.And with 80 or more sheilds it might not be necessary.And,to be honest,I only recently found out switching from a wonder to SS part has no sheild loss penalty.Worth a further look for sure.

A good position is very important.There are several "saves" of good OCC positions available here I think.Somewhere around here anyway.

Comment

The four whales save is here at Apoly downloads http://apolyton.net/civ2/db/ just type "occ" in the names box. Paul's site also has two other games that are helpful for getting a good start.

I have been gone for a bit, and catching up on all these posts is making me want to skip the golf and play some civ. - hey, Aurelius - how about this weather! Only the Aussies have it this good.
                            Be the bid!

Comment

Good to see you back, Sten.

Comment

Working...
                              X