Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder if anyone has done this before.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if anyone has done this before.....

When the discovery mechanism was discovered by I forget who, I spent several hours developing the shortest route to monotheism with monarchy and writing along the way. I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this, but I have tested and used this countless times in MP and SP games, and each time it works perfectly, as long as I don't stumble into a hut that gives me a tech, which creates severe problems... but anyway...

The shortest ideal route to monotheism....

Alpha - 10 Beakers needed
    CB - 18 Beakers needed
    Writing - 27 Beakers needed
    CoL - 36 Beakers needed
    Mon - 45 Beakers needed
    Literacy - 66 Beakers needed
    Mysticism - 84 Beakers needed
    HR - 96 Beakers needed
    Poly - 108 Beakers needed
    Phil - 130 Beakers needed
    Mono - 143 Beakers needed (free tech ideally)
    BW - 168 Beakers needed

I gaurentee this works as long as you start with no techs and don't stumble into a hut....

The only reason BW is so late is because you should generally be on the offensive, and the diplomats early on will provide you with explorers and to bribe barbs, while the libraries will provide a nice boost to the sciences.... I nearly always use this tech path unless there happens to be a tech that I desperately need, map making or something... also this skips pottery, which can be risky, but with a quick monotheism you should be able to get miches....

Use it if you want, but I guess it can't be used for every situation.
    I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Trade would be way too late...
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

My own path is not quite as fixed, in part because I tend to build the Great Library and Lighthouse as my early wonders. However, it is very close. This path should usually give you Phil first (extra tech), and enable you to build Mike's in time even though Trade would be developed after this discovery path. As noted elsewhere, the prices of the techs can vary based on your color and your position on the power pole.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Yeah, trade would come quite late. But then, I don't really go for trade when playing, I hardly use caravans in the early game anyway... so MT is just the way to go for me... hey, when playing on lower levels (in MP, of course), it might even make sense to consider Republic as a goal before Monarchy... but then, lack of producitivity in Republic might make it a bad government before Mike's...

Comment

Working...
        X