What goes into a Science City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What goes into a Science City?

Yeah, it's me, the amateur, back again. I've seen people writing about making a "Science City." I have sort of a vague notion as to what it means, but I'm not certain.

So, what _is_ a Science City, and what goes into it, and what is the benefit of having such a city?

Thanks,

JimW

Super Science City= a city with Colossus, Copernicus Observatory, Issac Newton's College, Library, University, Science Lab if no SETI, and 3 good trade routes. Preferably one with good growth potential, low corruption (usually is capital for me), and LOTS of trade from squares. If stuck in Monarchy, Hanging Gardens is good to have in city since +3 happy makes "we love..." easier, and that also adds +1 trade per square (in monarchy, communism, fundy).

The advantage? Quick tech discoveries from one city, freeing your other cities to do other tasks.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

A super science city should also include Shakespeare and a super highway.

------------------
      Old posters never die, they just f.a.d.e..a..w..a..y . . .

Old posters never die.
      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Thanks very much. That's what I like about this group as opposed to the various Blizzard groups. One can ask a question here and get an answer without a lot of sneering at the lame newbie.

JimW

Comment

AS, right, superhighway. Forgot about that thing. But Sheakespeare's I disagree; with 3 trade routes and all the extras (temple, marketplace, bank, colossus +1 trade) and 10-20% lux I find that it is unnecessary. Unless you're referring to an OCC.

Jim, did I forget to put you in your humble place? I must be slipping. Perhaps it's because I haven't been in this forum for so long that I feel like a newbie myself, somewhat.
          [This message has been edited by Theben (edited December 12, 1999).]
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The early part of the game is a rush to build wonders. Success often relies on how fast you can acquire trade - to build the wonder caravans. At the tougher levels of play the Hanging Gardens seems essential to combat unhappiness. So if I have to choose between that and the Colossus – the Gardens receives priority.

All is not lost. The city with the Colossus can (if near enough) be captured. If you take the place early on, the other science wonders can be built there.

I frequently end up with two science cities as a result of missing a key wonder. Whilst this is not as satisfactory as the Super Science City – it helps the beaker output.

--------
            Scouse Git (2)

"Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Theben: Let me add two obvious improvements - aqueducts and sewer to allow the city to grow. Plus, I add a Harbor just keep the city growing as well.

Jim: I have a Science City now that is size 16 (late mid-game) and produces the following under Democracy:

Food/Surplus: 32/11
              Tax/Lux/Sci: 13/13/438
              Support/Production: 1/8

It has a palace, temple, library, university, aqueduct, marketplace, sewer, harbor, colossus, copernicus and isaac. It has 3 trade routes generating about 9 arrows each. Will build the colosseum just to get the We Love going without changing the rate (sci-80, tax-10, lux-10).

Comment

Steve,
                Obviously you will want to build as many city improvements in the science city as you can, but the tech & trade improvements are what make a city a "super-science city".

BTW, you might want to build a Bank in your city instead of a colosseum. For 20 more "shields" you will get more money and should get a "we lov you" celebration. Unless you have a bank and just forgot to list it. We should mention that the science city also tends to provide a great deal of money for the empire.

Comment

Actually there is a valid reason to build Shakespears in the SSC, as any OCC fan will be quick to point out. you can then forget about luxuries. Set science at 100% if you can get a discovery every turn that way.You can have other cities send caravans to good forign trade cities for money (as well as more science) Granted, you may have difficulty keeping your other cities happy this way if they have any size at all, but screw them.
                  The camel is not a part of civ.
                  THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
                  SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

Isn't that what I said?

Comment

There is no reason why the Shakes city can't be a super science city and a military city under Democracy at the same time.Once it reaches a decent size it will produce a decent amount of sheilds in addition to the high beaker output.This is usually the time any resupporting will start anyway.You only need 20 to 30 sheilds to support a strong part of your total military.A "Republican Guard" if you will.Any improvements needed after that(Research Lab,Superhighway) can be rushed.
                      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Don't forget supermarket and farmland for the science city. The extra food allows more scientists which increases science immensely.

Comment

Smash: true, but I prefer to have my Sheakes city also have KRC and use that for my military powerhouse. My SSC usually just takes care of itself-let the other cities worry about worldly problems.

Comment

A couple of thoughts:

1. Shakespeare lets you run the whole operation with zero luxuries. Since there are so many science improvements loaded into this city, zero luxuries translates into ALOT more science.

2. Another trick with Shakespeare: Use OTHER cities to support the defensive units for the Shakespeare city. This frees up a few more shields so you can home a few more offensive, naval, or border units to the Shakespeare city. Make sure the Super Science City (with Shakespeare) still produces at least one shield net so you can buy whatever improvements you need there for cheap.

3. I would rather have Colossus than HG because Colossus lasts longer, and gives additional trade even when in democracy. Another reason for this preference is that I usually build only about 8-10 cities, so I dont need HG as much.

------------------
                            Old posters never die, they just f.a.d.e..a..w..a..y . . .

Old posters never die.
                            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Hey, Jim, you can't be an amateur. You're a full-blooded "civer", not a "junior". As for the topic at hand, I've built my first super science city in my current game and am quite impressed with the output. Granted, I'm nowhere near 1100 beakers/turn (that's not a typo, is it?) but I'm getting there. And I would have thought more mention would have been made in this string than just once (see geofelt's post) about the need for scientists. It occurred to me in mid-game last night to improve the farmland, build the supermarket, and thus free up inhabitants for scientists. The only bad thing about this is that now I have two more wonders (Coper and Sir Isaac) to add to my list of "must have" wonders.
                              Frodo lives!

Comment

Working...
                              X