Slighty Dull Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slighty Dull Discovery

I discovered that if you click goal on the siciece advisor bit (F6), then the tech you want, it will tell you what to research BUT, if you cannot research the tech needed (ie it is not an option after the latest tech researched) it will tell you.

This allows you to know what you can research next turn. This can be very handy, for instance in the rush to monotheism, if you are about to get mysticism you will know how soon you can get mono, and tweak your civ accordingly.

Graag

------------------
    ------------------------
    A man could not be in two places at the same time unless he were a bird!
    UIN: 47222759
    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Hmmm..... I don't get the sig. *scratches head*
    "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
    Jonathan Swift

Comment

I don't understand what you've discovered.
      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Ok, let me try to explain a bit better. You are all aware that when you have just researched one tech you get a choice of other techs to start researching. This choice is random from the techs available, some will be left out. For instance, after reserahcing alphabet, then ceremonial burial, although you should be able to research code of laws next it may not be available.
        My discovery allows you to know in advance what techs are available to you next time.
        This is useful because if you are racing to a certain tech yo will know in advance if it will be an option once you have discovered the precursor.

I hope someone understood that.

Graag
        I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
        Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

The next step if your desired tech is not available: acquire a new tech before you finish discovering the current one. Picking up an additional tech changes the research options (as many a hut chaser has discovered to his dismay).

Comment

DaveV: You have verified that this method works? It's great if acquiring another advance can change the next advance available.
            Graag: Thanks for bring this up. I have noticed it for sometime but do not bother verifying. It is useful in planning for the route to monarchy.

Comment

DaveV: yes, i have noticed the same thing, although I haven't attempted to verify it, but it always seems to work

Mingko: thanks for understanding what I said

Graag

------------------
              Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

mingko,

Acquiring a new tech has always changed my research options, although it won't necessarily make available the tech I want.

Comment

An oldie but goodie from the "Winning Strategies" thread of about a year ago. Third time I've posted this...

The number of technologies that you can choose from on the research menu depends on what prerequisites you have and where you are on the power graph. If you are first on the power graph you may have a choice of only two or three technologies. If you are third or fourth, you usually get six or eight choices.

If the technology you need does not appear on the research menu, here is what you can do. (Originally posted on the Ultimate Civ II Site.)

Suppose you want to research a particular technology. You have all the prerequisites, but your only choices on the research menu are three crummy technologies that you don't really need right now. Not to worry. Just do the following:

1. Pick a crummy technology that someone who will trade with you already has. (You may need Marco Polo to have contact with other civs. You also need to keep track of what technologies the other civs have BEFORE you select your technology.)

2. Research Crummy Tech for one turn.

3. Send an emissary to the civ that has Crummy Tech, and offer to exchange knowledge.

4. Give them what they ask for (within reason) and then select Crummy Tech from the menu of technologies they offer.

5. The next turn you will have completed Crummy Tech by trading, and will get a new set of choices on your research menu. About 95 percent of the time the technology you really want will now be available to research. If so, select it. If not, repeat steps 1-4 with another Crummy Tech.

6. Special added bonus: the beakers you accumulated researching Crummy Tech carry over to the new technology, so you haven't lost ANY time in researching the technology you really want.

This trading tactic can be used to explicitly direct your research to the goals you want. Since this kind of situation usually comes up five or six times per game, you can reach your ultimate technological goal (space shuttle modules, howitzers, whatever) 25 or 30 turns sooner than you otherwise would. You can reach important intermediate goals (Michaelangelo, Factory, Hoover Dam, Space Flight) somewhat sooner too.
                  [This message has been edited by Adam Smith (edited December 07, 1999).]
                  Old posters never die.
                  They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

OK, I now know what Graag has discovered, I don't understand the process he is describing. Could it be described in a few more stages? For example when in the tech reserch cycle is the goal button being pushed etc?
                    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I had always thought the Goals button was informational only, for those who don't have the chart in front of them or is incapable of understanding the civilopedia tree.

Comment

Adam Smith your fail to mention that once you have traded for that crummy tech, that it will take more beakers to research the new tech..... now i know this is countered by the accumulated beakers from the research but have you ever had 5 tech turns and then after trading 2-3 techs it jumps to 10 or something like that...... I have so its' not always worth it to trade for that crappy tech especially before monarchy or any tech you really really want.....
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Ok johnmc;

-Press F6 to get the science advisor
                          -Click 'Goal'
                          -Choose whatever tech you want to research next
                          -If it says 'No advances leading to blah blah' then that tech will not be available after your next discovery
                          - Act accordingly

Notable exception: I tried this today before getting phil, i was told mono was not available, yet i was able to get it as my free tech for phil

Graag

------------------
                          Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

I don't think you can get Mono without Phil.
                            Philosophy is prerequisit for Mono isn't it?
                            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

OK Graag, I got you now. Thanks for you time.

Smash, I think poly is the prerequisite for phil. and mono needs phil.
                              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X