observation on starting techs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• observation on starting techs

I haven't noticed this elsewhere so I'll post it now.

While starting over and over again the other night in a bid to do some justice to my OCC for men challenge I noticed that the number of techs you got at the start was directly proportional to the wealth of the terrain you started on. When given a polar start (poor terrain) I would have loads of starting techs, conversly, when starting on a river with grapes abounding I would have none. Has anyone else found this? or even studied the relationship in depth?
    www.neo-geo.com

You get extra techs depending on your immediate terrain, as you have just found. As far as I know the game engine just checks the squares you can see, so you can get loadsa techs even if the terrain a few squares away is great. You also get extra techs if there is a nearby Civ. I don't think this has been studied in depth... any takers?

Comment

Miner seems to know what he is talking about...however the rule isn;t steadfast or else there are major bugs in the game i find that there is an exception to everything that isdiscussed

------------------
      War is the answer when you need to strike first.

War is the answer when you think you should strike first

war is the answer when you think others may strike first.

Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I would have to agree with johnmcd. Last night I recreated about 7 games and perceived that if I started around plains/desert squares in the radius and no specials nearby, I get good techs (Cer. Burial, Code of Laws = one step to Monarchy!!!). However, whenever I started near rivers with grass/shields or some specials nearby, I get either none or 1 starting tech.

Unless someone else wants to test this, I can do an analysis.

Comment

yes its true,generally.That is the big hole in MP.In SP bad terrain is compensated with free techs.Not so in MP.No techs regardless of terrain.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Smash Except for the host who often gets lots of techs causing a restart

Comment

If you are on a small island you tend to get more techs. This seems to hold even if the size of the land mass that you inhabit is not obvious in 4000 BC.
              If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

Well if jpk is right then it may explain the legendary OCC start of which I have heard so much. I think I might see if there is any hard and fast rule or if it is slightly randomized.
                Also, on the MP front (I don't play myself) is there not a market (not a paying one) for fair maps? Does no one make set maps and then mail them to participants to be unzipped upon the commencement of civilising each other? I would have thought that would be an excellent addtion to the MP scene, which from what I see all around this forum is burgeoning.
                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

There seems to be a mood of apprehension when it comes to premade maps.It seems it would be too easy for an unscrupulous players to peek and gain advantage with their new found knowledge.
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Smash is right..... the only way to combat that is to have a third party make the map and send it to everyone but even that isnt failproof..... too much opportunity for cheating in this game not that i know how or ever have for that matter.... i just play and when its over its over

Comment

but surely that can happen anyway. Could I not save the game and open it in a new window without anyone knowing, and then have a browse with the cheat menu? Or if a new window isn't possible open it on another computer. I'm sure alot of you have your good computer and your old computer.
                      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I have made such maps and used them in duels before. Most maps I make are a lot of green, and any squares with specials get turned into different terrain. I do throw in hills plains forest and plains for some interest.

Generally after making such a map i forget it instantly. I could, of course, cheat very easily, but most of the people I play mp with trust me.
                        btw only the host needs to have the map.

Some people dont like these sort of maps though, and prefer computer generated ones with a bit of jungle and ice , it doesnt really bother me.

For more information you could look at a thread i started in the multiplayer forum. But i wouldn't bother, its not very interesting.

Graag

-------------------------
                        A man could not be in two places at once unless he were a bird!

I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                        Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Back to an earlier thought -

Does the tech bonus for crappy starting positions not apply in MP? I always thought (perhaps assumed) it did. Yet, tonight, I started on 2 small pieces of land (approx 6 by 4 squares each) linked by an isthmus about 3 squares long and 1 square wide.

I started with one settler and no techs. This was Emperor level. I cursed the house down.

Now I'll have to think back to all my other crappy starting positions in MP. (Which shouldn't be hard!)

------------------
                          finbar
                          Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Hmmm...every Mp game I've played has been at deity.You never ever get any techs.Cept host as pretty well known now.

Do non-host players get techs at king or emp?

Comment

At Emperor they do. We re-started a game 2 or 3 times the other night trying to avoid them. Then the host's connection chucked a tizz and we had to abandon. Bummer. Should've stuck with one of the bonus-tech games and penalised the host the number of turns equivalent to the number of techs.

------------------
                              finbar
                              Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                              X