No announcement yet.

Is Non-aggressive a Challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like too much of a challenge for some people.

JimW

Comment

I've tried this approach and concluded it can't be done with the MGE version. The AI is so agressive when I get the lead that war becomes constant. All AI civs launch constant attacks. Even when I have the UN, there's usually one or two civs that won't accept peace, and the ones that do break the treaty within few turns.

My impression from various notes here is that the 2.42 version has a less-aggressive AI. Perhaps the peaceful strategy would work there, but if it's possible in the MGE version then I'm missing something.

Comment

So let me see, to paraphrase, Win at bloodlust without ever being the agressor?
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Having re-read Jim's originating post, it sounds like a typical AC game (I think, haven't done one myself). He said, "The challenge is still to build yourself up well, defend yourself, and get to AC first." I think that's a simply strategy for BOTH games: AC and bloodlust, especially for larger worlds and relative isolation. Becoming isolated, even against an agressive AI, is too easy to defend and as Sten said, the AI still haven't figured out how to fight. But the key to isolating yourself on a large continent is to get rid of your pesky neighbors, so a little warfare (usually with Musks) is necessary. So I guess the trend, assuming a non-small world, is to:
          1. grow early,
          2. build defenses (Great/City Walls and pikes will last for a long, long time)
          3. get the lead on science,
          4. clear the continent,
          5. stay non-agressive while building some more
          6. with a big lead in science and production, now you can go conquer or go AC.

To paraphrase, one way to play is to be agressive only when necessary to maintain your lead and to win the game as the #1 civ.

Comment

Steve, you're pretty close to the mark, save that I don't go looking for a war. However, I do not let others get away with annoying behaviour, and I consider annoying behaviour to be anything so semi-innocuous as having settlers/engineers wandering over my own mines and irrigated fields.

However, I do not consider such annoyances as an excuse for all-out war of decimation. There are other cases, such as discovering that someone else has built a city practically within the boundaries of one of my own. If possible, I will conquer that city, rather than allowing it to be built up and be a continuing source of action, from irritating raids to attempts at conquest.

JimW

Comment

No, Johnmcd, you're not paraphrasing, you're twisting my words.

JimW

Comment

I did't mean to, I genuinely don't understand what the challenge is. Could you paraphrase please.
                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

in SP, against the AI, i play that way. i never played MP, though.

------------------
                  Alien Infiltrate

Comment

Would it add an element if you had to remain 'Spotless' throughout the game?

------------------
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                    X