Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your preferences at Deity level for lux, tax and science in rep/democracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your preferences at Deity level for lux, tax and science in rep/democracy?

I used to often do a 2.4.4 split in single player unless I was trying to WLTLD.

Now I move them around a lot depending on what I'm trying to achieve and use an 8.2 split, with 8 being the priority, be it happiness, science or tax. I change the priority frequently. Sometimes I gradually build up or build down the levels as a way of seeing where my cities are at in terms of willingness to celebrate, stay happy etc.

Any other thoughts on this?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Depends on my immediate goal. If I've got trade caras flying around and chasing techs, I'll max science with as few luxuries as I need to keep the chattering classes happy and no income other than trade. And so on.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

My answer isn't a fixed ratio, but just the most favorable ratio that let's you max out science without running a deficit. That tends to mean 1-7-2 (tax-science-lux) in a young democracy (I always need at least 10% taxes or my smaller cities start selling things off; trade would prevent that, but I'm not much of a trader). But since, with an SSC late in the game, you can often get as much science with 50% or even 40% as with 70% (in which case I raise either luxuries until my SSC is maxed out, then switch and raise taxes), it's generally 4-4-2 for a late democracy, and 5-0-5 after the discovery of fusion.

On a different note: what's the image under your name? It's too small to make out on my crappy work computer.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Typically I'll have lux at 20% with either science or tax at 80% depending on current priorities - science being the more normal priority.

I agree that, ideally, you should regularly check to see whether it produces a better result to leave the lux setting where you've got it or to change it, thereby either requiring a few more elvii in individual cities or a few less. Early on and in a game which is going well I have the patience for this. If the game is sticky for a bit I find I'm just too anxious to press the "end turn" button.

In Monarchy or early Republic the trade off between keeping a city with HG celebrating and a higher overall lux setting can be quite delicately balanced so I often find myself trying out different settings.

Rufus

The avatar is the delectable (but rather serious) Lady Deirdre, leader of the Gaian faction in SMAC. A rather ambivalent choice.

Comment

I start with the minimum luxury setting I can get away with. The other two depend on my immediate needs. Usually, the science is maxed out unless I need cash for bribing. When it's all said and done, it usually works out to about 20, 40, 40, give or take 10 here and there. Pretty non-conclusive, huh?
          Frodo lives!

Comment

Whatever brings balance, Grasshopper.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

20-0-80 if I can get away with it.

Comment

Luxuries are a total waste of money or science. No matter how many entertainers you have, its still better than luxuries. I try to have 100% science, and I use my treasury to continuously buy caravans, which go to far off lands and give me more money than I spent on them.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Republic? What kinda mountain-city lovin cavlry officer would use that?

I just use desp/mon/fundy. But I like the 80/20 rule. Except occasionaly in fundy, I'll do short bursts of 50 for science.

Comment

Originally posted by FireDragon
                    Luxuries are a total waste of money or science. No matter how many entertainers you have, its still better than luxuries. I try to have 100% science, and I use my treasury to continuously buy caravans, which go to far off lands and give me more money than I spent on them.
                    Er, we're talking about Deity level democracy and republic here. I've never seen a player who could get away with no luxuries at that level.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

No, I agree with FD. I'd rather not spend anything on luxuries, and I play at Deity. I just keep the cities happy in the other ways.

Then again, I do usually lose. So perhaps I should just shut up.

Comment

I use 20 - 60 - 20 in Democracy, 30 - 70- 0 in Monarchy and Communism and 50 - 50 - 0 in Fundy. I try not to use Fundy, don't use Republic at all. I do vary luxeries occasionally to get WLT_ days. Take it out of taxes first, then science if I have AS, out of science, if not. During those periods, I'll switch scientists to elvi, also.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                        X