early republic strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early republic strategies

I was gone from here for a while, a little burnt out on Civ. But, great game that it is, I came back, and I've been messing around with early republic.

One thing I've found is that Colossus can really help. If you set up trade routes with the Colossus city, the trade bonus will be +2 or +3. So, it makes we love easier.

In my first 4 or so cities, I build libraries before marketplaces. After that, marketplaces come first, so I can get the love.

The Oracle is very helpful for getting all the way to size 7 or 8. If it's early in the game, and you've got a handful of size 7-8 cities with marketplaces and libraries, you're set.

Other thoughts?

I used to be down on early Republic until I tried OCC. But instead of "early", I favor a "somewhay early" Republic. I too get Colossus but will take HG over Oracle. I can't stand having someone turn over a hut with Theology in it. In any case, with my science city containing both Col and HG in Monarchy, I effectively have Republic-with-Col level trade. This lets me keep Monarchy while I'm still expanding and building roads. The advantages of this are: each city can support 2 Settlers plus a defender and still be building that Temple and/or Marketplace. No stupid senate. No military unhappies. No luxuries. Science city can build Caravans fast.

It is pointless to bother with Republic unless your city radii have roads. Each city also needs a defender plus a Settler for land improvement. Small cities need no more. Larger ones need a Marketplace and perhaps a Temple.

For me, though, that's still not enough. With my science city already generating mucho trade, I need a good incentive to give up all of the above advantages. That incentive is WLTCD, and for that I must have MC.

Comment

One roaded grassland or trade special per population point is enough to get cities to celebrate to size six. (How are you going to keep them happy if they are bigger?) You only need markets or trade routes for outlying cities, whre corruption is more of a problem.

------------------
      Old posters never die, they just f.a.d.e..a..w..a..y . . .

Old posters never die.
      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

1. I realize I didn't write this, but I meant Oracle *in addition,* not instead.
        2. By early, I mean, ~6 cities with marketplaces, all either having at least one trade route, or soon to have one. You can love your way up to good size.
        3. I tend to build cities in pairs. Then when they get to size 3, I launch the love for a few turns.

Comment

I've even made some good use out of the oracle in MP games, but I'll only build it if I don't think I'll get either Mike's or JSB, and preferably in conjunction with HG. Small worlds are bad too, cause science rates are too high. Best if you can keep it working until around 600 BC.
          I won't usually go republic first because I want to get out of despotism asap. True, republic only takes 1 more advance than Monarchy to get, but you also had better get ceremonial burial and mysticism to make it work, and if you have ceremonial burial already, why not go for monarchy? I'll always spend at least some time in Monarchy before going for republic.
          The camel is not a part of civ.
          THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
          SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X