• Show
Clear All

• Favourite Units? [It's wartime]

What's your favourite ground unit in:

1) Àncient age
    2) Renessance
    3) Industrial age
    4) Modern age

You can also tell about your favourite combinations of units and so on.

------------------

1) Knights
    2) Dragoons
    3) Cavalry
    4) Howitzer

Comment

ST,

Good choices, but I think the knight is a Renaissance unit. I nominate the elephant in its place.

Comment

1) chariot
        2) engineer
        3) spy
        4) spy

Comment

You use chariots!?!?
          I thought engineers were industrial age.

Comment

I think this is a great thread, I can learn alot from the responses. However, just so we are all on the same page, I got out my chart and put this list together:

ANCIENT units:
            Diplomats
            Warrior
            Archers
            Horseman
            Pikemen
            Phalanx
            Chariot
            Legion
            Trireme
            Catapult
            Elephant

RENAISSANCE units:
            Knights
            Caravel
            Dragoons
            Crusaders
            Musketeers
            Frigate
            Cannon

INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION units:
            Alpine Troops
            Cavalry
            Fanatics
            IronClad
            Submarine
            Fighter
            Destroyer
            Riflemen
            Cruiser
            Artillery

MODERN units:
            Marines
            Battleship
            Armor
            Bomber
            Helicopter
            Paratroopers
            Spy
            Partisans
            AEGIS Cruiser
            Cruise Missile
            Nuclear Missile
            SAM Battery
            Mech Infantry
            Howitzer
            Stealth Bomber
            Stealth Fighter

I hope I got everything.
            Note: I only included those units with an attack value and also included naval/air units even though the original post said favorite ground units.

[This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited November 02, 1999).]

Comment

1) Pikemen (great defense)
              2) Musks (superior against any ancient units)
              3) Alpine Troops (great movements)
              4) Spy (the single best unit)

[This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited November 02, 1999).]

Comment

I know not many posts yet but so far Steve Clark is the only one here who probably knows how to battle.

Marines are *the* units to battle with. A battle ship (or whatever you have), a transport full of vet marines = coastal city snot beating invasion group. Pound on a city with sea units. Attack with marines from transport. Move transport into city with remaining marines, that still have movement left and attack more. You can wipe out the AI in no time like this. Damaged marines that have won a battle are safe on the transport from return attack from AI ground units. Works for me.

Comment

Never been a big fan of Marines. They take a long time to get and you have to study a dead-end advance for them. By the time they are available, the AI has city walls everywhere and is defending with vet Riflemen and/or Alpine Troops. And unlike ships, Marines don't ignore walls and have just 20 hps instead of 30.

60 shields also buys Cavalry, which can land and then attack, effectively doing the same thing as Marines. Cavalry arrives earlier and if you have Leo, you're likely to get a bunch of them. After landing in a city, Cavalry have twice the movement of Marines and can quickly grab those outlying fortresses. Double movement also means they can sometimes attack twice - very handy. Bring along some Alpines to get the high ground that doesn't have roads. Once the battle moves inland, Cavalry and Alpines are more versatile than Marines.

Comment

Marines are nice once and a while- to establish yourself [if your willing to spend 6 marines]. However, Howisters are the only way to go for decisive result. Everything else is just complimentary.

Too bad, too. Tanks should be the princible unit in the game, but aren't.

Ancient= Warriors [for exploration and attitude adjustment]
                    Favorate combo- Elephant and Archers.

Renisance- Knights
                    Fav Combo- Crusaders and Knights [fast and furious]

Industrial- Transport
                    Fav Combo- Transports loaded with Calvary and Riflemen.

Modern [standard rules]- Mech. Inf.
                    Fav Combo- Howisters and Mech. Inf.

Modern [altered rules]- Tanks
                    Fav Combo- Tanks and Mech. Inf., supportted by a few Howisters to blow out the worst defenders.
                    "One is never too old to die young." Sgt. Sheets
                    FREE YYYH and Stewart Spink
                    We shall never forget!!

Comment

Ah what the heck i'll put my limited knowledge of civ2 and its units for all to see.

Ancient> ummm being a bit of a "builder" pikeman for defense definitely

Renaissance> Dragoons

industrial> Cavalry and fighters

Modern> spy and armor

Monkey I am proud to be!
                      Trim the sails and roam the sea!
                      Trim the sails and roam the sea!
                      ...Stefu

Comment

Using Steve Clark's list

Ancient: Trieme (needed for goodie hut searches and caravan delivery)
                        Renaissance: Caravel (see above)
                        Industrial: Cavalry (it's time to fight)
                        Modern: Spy (it's time to subvert)

Your list includes spies but not diplomats. Also, the list does not include Galleons or Transports. While they have no offensive capability, they are absolutely, positively, indespenible on a multicontinent world.

This is the editing addition: The original message asked about favorite ground units. They really don't interest me. Whatever is available is what I build. Since I usually have a science advantage, whatever I am building is at least as good as what the AI has. Saying this, I must admit to a fondness for howitzers.
                        [This message has been edited by jpk (edited November 02, 1999).]
                        If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

My favs:

Ancient : Catapult

Renessance : Musks

Industrial : Riflemen

Modern : Stealth Fighter

One vet catapult coupled with ,lets say an archer found in a hut, makes a very cheap war machine, positioned on a hill or mountain next to a city. This will give u a few xtra cities early. The Stealth Fighter rules!
                          Cities without SAM are at its mercy, and its movement is unrivaled. If all enemy cities are defended to the max, its still great for harassing the enemy, and it attacks up to 14 times out of a city.
                          Im talking about single player games off course, as I have never played more than a few hotseat games, let alone real multiplayer.

Comment

And if I could stick to the subject just once, I would give the Howitzer my vote in the modern age as the question was fav. GROUND unit. Sorry bout that..

Comment

Have to admit that I had never used howitzers or stealth units, usually I had conquered the world before I get those advances.

I have to agree with Sieve (sorry MWHC) on Marines, they are good for getting into a coastal city but getting into the interior, not so good. I remember capturing a large coastal city with 8 marines on a transport, used a couple for defending, then disbanding the remaining to build alpines.

jpk's comments are good, most units have some value militarily. I think I forgot to include Dips, I just had never used them to conquer, they cannot incite revolts. By the way, I interpreted Sinclair's original post as 'favorite ground units to attack with'.

Comment

Working...
                              X