Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Discovery

Maybe y'all knew this. But...

In a game when you do not have a palace, and you build a palace in one of your cities you experience no production corruption.

So in theory I could have a far flung empire in despotism, and if i lost my capitol, i could build buildings in all corners of my civ with no penalty whatsoever.

Of course if i wanted to build units, there would be a switching penalty, but i could build buildings just fine.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Re: Interesting Discovery

Originally posted by OzzyKP
    Maybe y'all knew this. But...

In a game when you do not have a palace, and you build a palace in one of your cities you experience no production corruption.

So in theory I could have a far flung empire in despotism, and if i lost my capitol, i could build buildings in all corners of my civ with no penalty whatsoever.

Of course if i wanted to build units, there would be a switching penalty, but i could build buildings just fine.
    You misread the date and thought it was 1st April - right?

For the record, even a small empire is a pain in the b*m without a capital - at deity anyway.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Hello Ozzy

Never saw this "discovery" before; please be so kind as to post a save.

Also, it might help to define a few terms among ourselves. Lost production (shields) is called waste. Lost trade is called corruption. Lost production corruption is a mystery term.

Also, your post reads as if you are making a specific to general error in reasoning. Yes, building a Palace eliminates all corrution and waste IN THAT CITY, but not everywhere.

But that's just in my experience. A save to play with will tell all. New discoveries are so exciting.

Hope this helps.

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Play Communism or Democracy. Then you have no corruption, or waste.
        Vote Democrat
        Support Democracy

Comment

Originally posted by POTUS
          Fundy, too. But the question specifies despotism.

Monk

Comment

Originally posted by POTUS
            No sh*t.

The situation was this. I lost my capitol while playing a MP game, I was under monarchy. Corruption and waste was obviously high in all my cities. I switched the production of one city to a palace and noticed that instantly there was no more waste in that city. I did it in another city, and the same thing happened.

Since the palace is a building you can switch between it and any other building with no penalty. So if i had a far-flung empire, and I as not yet advanced enough for a waste free form of government, I could do a building project without waste in any of my cities under any form of government using this trick.

I'm not saying its the most useful thing in the world. I'm just saying I noticed it and thought i'd share.

I made up a test case to demonstrate this. Its on a gigamap, to accentuate the distances between cities. My capitol, Black Sabbath, located in S. America was taken by barbarians. My other cities, scattered randomly around the world can all have zero production waste if they build the palace. Check out Megadeth in Italy. When building an aquaduct 10 production is lost to waste. Switch that over to a palace and immediatly there is no waste at all.
            Attached Files

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Btw, I'm not an idiot.

Comment

Sorry - I certainly did not say that you were - this is 'lost' knowledge rather than 'new' knowledge - i recall seeing a post remarking upon the sudden loss of waste when Palace building - but IIRC no-one at that time came up with the concept of building several palaces simultaneously ...

By the way - i believe that once a Palace has been completed there is no advantage conferred on a city that starts to build another...

Thanks for sharing

Stu
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Fascinating!! And I certainly wasn't thinking you were an idiot; sorry if you thought that.

With your explanation and the save all becomes clear. I did not understand you to mean multiple Palaces from the first post.

--I gave all the cities a colosseum to calm the rabble;
                  --then entered Palace in the build cue everywhere;
                  --over several turns the condition (no waste) continued.
                  --This just to be sure the game would not reset the multiple Palace builds.
                  --Condition holds under Monarchy, too!! Although, there would not be such a huge waste problem.

This is probably a bug rather than a feature.

Whatever, if you had terrible waste problems and needed to build, for example, multiple temples, this would indeed be a winning move.

Good catch!!

Monk

Comment

Pretty Cool, even if it is a bug, I could still use it once in a while, in MP, I am not that bad, that I lose my capital after building an empire in SP.
                    Vote Democrat
                    Support Democracy

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      Btw, I'm not an idiot.
                      Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Interesting; I'm not sure how useful, but interesting.

RJM at Sleeper's
                      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by SG
                        Sorry - I certainly did not say that you were - this is 'lost' knowledge rather than 'new' knowledge - i recall seeing a post remarking upon the sudden loss of waste when Palace building - but IIRC no-one at that time came up with the concept of building several palaces simultaneously ...
                        Noo, that's not lost. That's in the most appropriate place of the GL:

Originally posted by Corruption and waste
                        Building the capital

Every city that builds the capital has zero waste.
                        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

I always took that to mean "if you have built the Palace in a particular city that city (only) will have no waste". What it should really say is "Switching your production choice to Palace will eliminate corruption and waste during the build time. Any city with a Palace in it (the "capital") will have no corruption or waste whatsoever."

Comment

Elephant,
                            thx, I edited it.

"Switching your production choice to Palace will eliminate corruption and waste during the build time.
                            waste only!
                            Also this is valid only if you have no Palace yet (no capital).
                            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Working...
                            X